New member and CLS II owner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puroagave

Reaction score
Hello, I’m new to MLO but have been in the hobby a few decades except for a period when I dropped out. I’m back and into collecting music (primarily vinyl). I 'm a 2-ch guy and don’t mix HT with audio they remain separate.

I recently acquired a previously loved pair of CLS IIs. After more than 9 pairs of panel speakers 5 of them ESLs, I'm surprised I never owned a set of Martin logans. I've heard most of their models the monolith for one was a speaker I always wanted to own but didnt get a chance to. I first heard the original CLS back ca '87 and the subsequent ‘improved’ versions. I’ve also had the privilege of hearing the original four-piece ML Statement, a behemoth of a speaker powered by a bevy of krell reference amps – an experience that I will never forget.

My CLS IIs are from '93 with both panels replaced ~12 years ago. I’ve had them up and running less for than a week now and I noticed a few issues that are most likely related to the age of the panels: a loss of high and low freq extension. I’m running tube and SS amps (spectral dma-150 for one). I haven’t listened to a new pair of CLSs in probably 20 yrs but I have listened to the latest CLX, and my pair falls short in certain fundamental areas which leads me to believe the panels need replacement.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the CLS and getting pointers from experienced users on MLO. I also look forward to sharing personal anecdotes from my experiences in audio and music collecting in general.

Rob

Last edited:
Hi Rob, Welcome !

Do you have any idea as to the actual age of your CLS II's ? Re-paneling just might be the way to go, regardless falling 'just short' of CLX's is not a bad thing !

Hi Rob, :welcome: to our corner of the 'net.

As Dave mentions, use the serial # decoder (sticky on main forum) to find out the actual age of the panels. If yours were made in the last ten years or so, it's likely they are still in decent shape if well cared for (e.g. no dust, no sunlight, etc.). If not well cared for, then a re-paneling will make a difference.

Since you've owned ESL's before, you know that positioning and room treatment are critical for optimum results. we cover many of those topics in this forum. Check out our Room Acoustics sub-forum for plenty of content.

Guys, thanks for the welcome. Jon lent some advice on another 'board and its all appreciated. I've run these in for nearly a week and keeping them plugged in at all times really opened up the sound which may suggest the panels were fine. The highs are now more present and the lower mid is filled out with better dynamic contrasts than when I first plugged them in. The bass remains the same I still don't know how ML came up with -2db in the low 30s. I think the CLX's low freq spec is more realistic in the mid 50s and its probably where the CLS is at.

Again, thanks for the advice next up is more tube power I have a good SS that can adequately drive the CLSs but I have a soft spot for tubes. I'm keeping my options open regarding a sub but from what i'm reading, MLs depth/descent seems to be the way to go.

Last edited:
Welcome to a fellow CLS owner.
For improvement you might also try stands that place your ears in the center of the panel and anchor the panels to the floor.
CLS's do sound wonderful with good tube equipment. Let us know what you audition.

Again, thanks for the advice next up is more tube power I have a good SS that can adequately drive the CLSs but I have a soft spot for tubes.

ARC or CJ are worthy contenders for sure , some folks love the Mac275 but if your budget is somewhat lighter…….Rogue Audio, myself I love my M-180's and for the $$ I'd put Mark's big Apollo MonoBlocks up against anything from ARC or CJ !

For improvement you might also try stands that place your ears in the center of the panel and anchor the panels to the floor.

Good advise from Brad here, we used to have an active member (DTB300)Dan, who had one of the best CLS setups I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. He had his elevated and anchored.

I agree with elevating the CLS's and my sound improved when I got my stands!

Also, welcome Rob from another CLS owner!

Back