Right amp for the Montis

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine were with krell, AR, and levinson. Unless you want a one box clean looking system, I.would suggest buying a used source, pre, and power separately

and which one was your favourite ?

and which one was your favourite ?

Hi i actually I quite liked all others except the D, so I was not even choosy.

The others depend on your liking and system synergy and room. Valves can be airy, Audio research more neutral, Jadis glorious in midrange, Krell, Sanders, Spectral, and such SS you can try for more bass control and dynamics etc. You will have to check. Then go in for the best used price. Some you will like in the first hour of demo, but then also compare your top two or 3 over a longer period. If you like orchestral and rock your tastes will be different from someone who prefers more vocals. But IMO the D is to be avoided, at least on the Logans.

Hi i actually I quite liked all others except the D, so I was not even choosy.

The others depend on your liking and system synergy and room. Valves can be airy, Audio research more neutral, Jadis glorious in midrange, Krell, Sanders, Spectral, and such SS you can try for more bass control and dynamics etc. You will have to check. Then go in for the best used price. Some you will like in the first hour of demo, but then also compare your top two or 3 over a longer period. If you like orchestral and rock your tastes will be different from someone who prefers more vocals. But IMO the D is to be avoided, at least on the Logans.

Thanks for the feedback!

If I'm to change the Devialet, I will go to tubes, most probably Primaluna Prologue Premium HP Monoblocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Primaluna are OK, but they are IMHO not as good as Audio Research. I went for a Macintosh 7900 - a mix between the musical tube sound and the precision of a SS. With a decent DAC you will get closer to the musical sound of a tube amp - but still has the precision and the "tops" of a SS. The Montis are extremely revealing, so every part of the value chain counts.

Primaluna are OK, but they are IMHO not as good as Audio Research. I went for a Macintosh 7900 - a mix between the musical tube sound and the precision of a SS. With a decent DAC you will get closer to the musical sound of a tube amp - but still has the precision and the "tops" of a SS. The Montis are extremely revealing, so every part of the value chain counts.
Which DACs you may consider with that?

Hola. Exasound E20 or E22. This is the best DAC for the money. I know out there are a lot of great DACs too. Other brand is Lampizator. our dear member Kedar and others are very impressed by the performance of these DACs. I have a dear friend who just bought one, and it is a truly hi-end product, with outstanding sound!. Happy listening!

Depends on your budget. The Lampi Big 7, on which you can roll NOS valves, retails at 10k, and there are people who prefer it to much costlier 35k MSB stacks, Meitners, weiss, etc. You can also look for lower versions of Lampi. Though with Montis I will stick to Big 6 or 7.

Btw, I also liked the sound of Bryston with Montis.

Depends on your budget. The Lampi Big 7, on which you can roll NOS valves, retails at 10k, and there are people who prefer it to much costlier 35k MSB stacks, Meitners, weiss, etc. You can also look for lower versions of Lampi. Though with Montis I will stick to Big 6 or 7.

Thanks, will explore that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve:

Have you looked at Bob Carver's new tube amplifiers at http://www.bobcarvercorp.com/

I use them on my ML Spires and they sound fantastic and rock plenty with lots of headroom to spare:rocker:

They are designed to be used for tough loads such as Xstats or Apogees with impedances down to 0.75 ohms.

Best of luck ...
David

Last edited:
Steve:

Have you looked at Bob Carver's new tube amplifiers at http://www.bobcarvercorp.com/

I use them on my ML Spires and they sound fantastic and rock plenty with lots of headroom to spare:rocker:

They are designed to be used for tough loads such as Xstats or Apogees with impedances down to 0.75 ohms.

Best of luck ...
David

thanks!

which one of Bob Carver's? 200 or 350?

I considered Luxman DA-06 (very "analog-like") and Auralic Vega (very detailed and "hi-fi" - but with a touch of analog sound). I ended up wit the Vega.

Steve:

Best of luck ...
David

Those are sexy amps. I would love to hear one. I really enjoied (getting rid of when my Moons come in) my current Sunfire amp which is a Carver design I believe.

I could only imagine what those tube sound like. That's some tube power!

Those are sexy amps. I would love to hear one. I really enjoied (getting rid of when my Moons come in) my current Sunfire amp which is a Carver design I believe.

I could only imagine what those tube sound like. That's some tube power!

I also have his SS amps from Sunfire(TGA7401), a 7 channel 400W/Ch amplifier which also sounds great. I'm curious to find out which of his amps you got rid of...

I also have his SS amps from Sunfire(TGA7401), a 7 channel 400W/Ch amplifier which also sounds great. I'm curious to find out which of his amps you got rid of...

When my Moon 400m's come in, I will be moving on from my TGA-5400.

I have paired my Montis to a Benchmark DAC2 with their new aplifier the AHB2 and totally love the sound. I've had it for about a year and i think it's an absolute gem. It can play them very loud too.

I always had good luck with Plinius on panels. Something about that Class A SS sound.

I have paired my Montis to a Benchmark DAC2 with their new aplifier the AHB2 and totally love the sound. I've had it for about a year and i think it's an absolute gem. It can play them very loud too.

That is very interesting was always wondering about that amp configuration Thanx for the input

Hi Steve, I am looking at amps right now for Summits, have demoed Krell, Levinson, Burmester, Audio Research 75, Bel Canto, Electrocompaniet, and this weekend will be doing Conrad Johnson, Graaf, and GamuT. My reviews are here. One I ruled out after multiple tries is Devialet

Demoed Townshend Pre, Bel Canto Power, and Electrocompanies monos with Summits

Demoed AR Ref 5 with Krell, Burmester, Levinson and AR Ref 75 on Summit X
I see that this is an older post and probably Devialet has developed since then because the only amp i tested and kept is Devialet 220 pro. That amplifier is just stunning and suites my Montis without competition, strange how it can be so different opinions.:)

Latest posts

Back