:: waves :: New member needing some help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I am looking at purchasing a pair of Motion 40's soon. I was wondering a few things.

Would the Motion 30 or the EM C2 be better for the center
What surrounds (Rear and side) would be best? Motion 15, Motion 4, FX, FX2
Which surrounds should be diffuse and which should be direct?

These will be primarily movie, TV game with very little if any music.

I think that about covers it for now. Appreciate any help

Anyone out there?!?! I realize most of the ML lineup and fans are keyed into the electrostatics, but there must be someone out there that could help.

I've just ordered a C2 to use as my center channel. I'll let you know what I think when I get it broken in a little. I think the C2 is considered to be higher grade than the motion 30. I have to say that I dislike the grill on the C2 though.lol. I'm also looking at the FX-2 surrounds, depending on how the C2 sounds. I've looked at the Stage X for many months, but I increased my mortgage payment instead :p

What surround configuration are you using?

You're correct that the motion series is not as well represented here as the ESL, but that is simply because this site was founded long before the Motion series existed; by people who's tastes run opposite to the conventional box speaker.

All of them have been voiced to generally work well together as you would suspect. Yes, the c2 will have more dynamic capabilities and a bit more bass than the 30 but is deeper so check you fitments. Also, remember that there is a 5 degree slant for one side of the C2 so if it down lower in a cabinet, flip it up so it comes up into the room. As for grills, cosmetics are always a battle but for performance the grills pitch makes if more invisible than a cloth grill which always damps the clarity a bit on speakers. for surround, without seeing your room, the FX are fantastic with a nice balance of direct and diffusive characteristics. good flexibility in mounting as well and has roughly the same size driver as the rest of your system for voicing issues.

Room is roughly 16x20
Open to second story above and to right

Front TV wall
Left wall is a chimney less fireplace with glass around most of the rest
Back wall is open to kitchen are on first floor then wall above that
Right wall is no existent except for a walkway connecting two sides.

I know it is less than ideal

If you think the fx or fx2 would be better for surrounds, cool. And the C2. As long as they create the clean sound field. I may have to just use 5.1 vs 7.2 due to WAF.

If the 30 and FX will be more uniform then ...

I just want it to sound as awesome as possible

Latest posts

Back