Summits with a Magtech amp are simply outstanding

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlhappy

Reaction score
Hello MLOs,

I happened onto a used pair of Bubinga Summits last week in mint condition and bought them. Then I felt that I needed a different solid state amp to drive them. After some research, I decided to buy a Magtech amp. As soon as I heard sound from the Summits, I knew that I had finally found the speakers for my classical music. And the Magtech is simply an outstanding amp - neutral, rock-solid, and quiet. What a find.

Combined with my tube preamp, I have finally found the combination that I have wanted and have been searching for. Now I can sit back, listen to my jazz and classical music, and enjoy my retirement.

Oh, and I'm selling three amps, two of them are tube integrated, and my old speakers. Out with the old and in with the new, as they say. Everything goes, save the Summits, Magtech and preamp. The simple life.

I would envision that setup would sound incredible because the Summits are very power demanding panels at 0.7-ohm at 20 kHz on the high notes. I'd like to find a good deal on a used Sanders ESL-II or Magtech myself because they're great amps with no heat buildup issues which can drive low impedance speakers extremely well. Bada Bubinga Bada Boom!

You must indeed be "MLHappy" with that setup. Sanders makes excellent amps to pair with MLs. I have a very similar setup as you: Summits driven by Sanders ESL monoblocs (at 800 wpc) with a tube preamp (ARC Ref 3). It is a sublime setup. As you say, the Sanders amps are neutral, rock solid, and quiet. They just deliver the signal as it was intended, with no coloration, and they are never stressed. Congrats on your new setup! Don't know what your room is like, but if you want to maximize the potential of this system, some well-placed acoustic treatments can really take it up to the next level of jaw-droppingness.

Huge Sanders fan, and owner, here. Best amps I have ever used in over 30 years of running stat setups.

While the Magtech were made to drive magnetics they have no troubles when asked to drive ESL's.

Just to add the Sanders love-fest, I positively *love* my Sanders ESL amp, so much that I'm following in Rich's footsteps and am planning on Monoblocks. But a complete HVAC overhaul for the home delayed that project.

Congrats on the new speakers and amp MLHappy!
Enjoy them well, and come here often for camaraderie and support.

Latest posts

Back