New to Martin Logan and Home Theater

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidH

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My name is David Hardison and I am new to the Martin Logan scene and the Audio/Home Theater scene. This past December I decided it was time to purchase some new speakers for my home theater:

Martin Logan Motion 40's
Martin Logan Motion 30
Martin Logan Dynamo 500
Denon 2313 Receiver

So far I love the sound of my new speakers. I originally went to best buy looking at an entire system for $1,500.00 (Klipsch) but then I was asked to listen to some Martin Logans in the Magnolia Room. I then knew I was going to break the budget and get these. So far everything has been great besides the Dynamo 500. I just sent it back to Martin Logan for a replacement as it has already died. I never pushed the sub either......

As a newbie, what is the best way to get the most from my speakers? Should I Bi amp? Keep in mind I am newly engaged and just bought a new home and a car as my old one died. Budget is tight. I plan to get the Motion FX rears when mancave is done.

hey David,

glad to see that you decided on the MLs instead of the Klipsch set up ... last winter, I was looking toward some Monitor Audio bronze towers when I heard the Motion 20s ... the Motion 40s weren't in the showroom, but I figured (long-term investment-wise) the 40s were the way to go. I agree, they are great speakers.

I've ended up with the 40s, a motion 30, a pair of LX16s (basically the same as the Motion 15s) and a dynamo 700 ... lovin' that seamless, crystal-clear soundstage :)

I have my Motion 40s bi-amped - it spreads out the receiver's (Marantz sr5007) work-load - so far, so good.

Best wishes on the engagement :)

I am a big Klipsch fan - but only of their Heritage range. Their other stuff sounds spectacular playing movies, but I reckon the budget Klipsch models are too strident (harsh) for the music I like to listen to.

The ML Motion series are a great sounding system and the Denon receiver you have is a good match. Bi-amping can be fun to play around with. But like any 'tweak' you'll have to try it to see whether it improves your sound. It the very least, it won't make the sound worse :)

Regarding surround sound speakers, try the ML Motion 4. These bookshelf speakers are stunning, and they cost less than the FX...

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome guys! I have been looking at the forums trying to figure out ways to improve my HT experience. I want to try Bi Amp but all my friends say it wont make a difference. I may do it anyway!

I almost purchased the Motion 4 Surrounds but I wanted something with a little more bite to it. I have been hassling Best Buy every weekend like when are you going to sell me the Motion FX for $250.00 each. Last weekend they almost did it! Then some Audio guy came over and said the ML speakers are all price locked. I asked him why I was able to get the Motion 30 from the same Best Buy for $400.00 they day it came out. He looked confused :cool:

Thanks for the Best Wishes!

David H.

Hola fellow Kyian! I have a killer integrated amp for sale that will blow that Denon out of the water. Where bouts in Kentucky? Paducah here.

Back