Mylar hole repair

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan Sek

Reaction score
I've found a small 1-2mm diameter (cat caused?: I don't know) hole in the mylar of one of my Source's. It's causing a hissing sound, like a much louder than normal tape hiss. When I put a cotton q-tip over the hole, the hiss disappears.

I've seen some advice to never tape the mylar, but I was wondering if doing a hole repair with the appropriate tape (mylar tape?), would be appropriate. I was thinking to use a round tape patch, press it through the closest hole in the stator and apply pressure to the tape while, at the same time, supporting the back side of the mylar with the tip of a cotton swab.

Any advice or comments?
Regards,
Jonathan S.

I've found a small 1-2mm diameter (cat caused?: I don't know) hole in the mylar of one of my Source's. It's causing a hissing sound, like a much louder than normal tape hiss. When I put a cotton q-tip over the hole, the hiss disappears.

I've seen some advice to never tape the mylar, but I was wondering if doing a hole repair with the appropriate tape (mylar tape?), would be appropriate. I was thinking to use a round tape patch, press it through the closest hole in the stator and apply pressure to the tape while, at the same time, supporting the back side of the mylar with the tip of a cotton swab.

Any advice or comments?
Regards,
Jonathan S.

ML say that holes in the membrane do not matter. They themselves have poked literally hundreds of holes in membranes without any effect on sound quality. Don't worry about it - but don't encourage more holes either - you might need to buy a scratching post. (or make one)?

Back