Primaluna & Ethos combination question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmomo

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new here. I would like to buy ML Ethos and Primaluna's amplifier. I want to know if you think or know if 42/21W aplification (DiaLogue 5) will be enough or I should save money for DiaLogue 6/7.
I thought maybe the built in amplifer for the bass in Ethos gives me the opportunity to use an amplifer with less power.

thanks in advance. momo.

If you were talking about the Theos, I'd say you'd need more power. But the Ethos is fine with less power - as long as you don't listen too loud or you don't have a big room. Obviously, the more quality watts you have, the better your speakers will sound. :)

Hello.
I'm using a pair of Theos with the PrimaLuna Prologue 7 Mono Blocs, and find the combination to be the best I've tried to date. True, the Mono Blocs have more power, nominally 70/channel, but are more than ample for my Theos, plus, Kevin (Upscale Audio) has a GREAT (IMO) price on the Mono Blocs. The topology is the same as in the Dialogue, you have the flexibility of rolling the tubes, and the sound, to quote Kevin, is "peanut butter and jelly" with the ML's. I am more than happy with them. I've used, in the past 6 months, a vintage Mark Levinson, a Cary 200.2 S/S amp, and the Rogue Medusa (in which I rolled the tubes, to a very good effect). This is head and shoulders above all of them. I also think you don't need to worry about the face plate color, as I got the silver and purchased them fairly recently. The standard Prologue Mono Bloc 7 comes with the KT-88. My picture doesn't show the Mono Blocs as yet, but will soon, LOL.

Good Luck and good listening,
Scotty

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14619-System-461-(Theos)

If you were talking about the Theos, I'd say you'd need more power. But the Ethos is fine with less power - as long as you don't listen too loud or you don't have a big room. Obviously, the more quality watts you have, the better your speakers will sound. :)

Very useful comment as I am thinking to also purchase Ethos. Thanks again.

Hola. The new stats from ML do not need a lot of power as the older do. This is a myth that all ML are power hungry. Starting with the Ethos, their sensitivity is 92dB/2.83V/m. This means that you can use as little as 20W/channel and you can drive them nicely to a pleasant and enough level in your room. I have customers that are using them with an Italian Viva power amplifiers with only 22watts with excellent results. Now if you want a disco level, then of course you need more power. Happy listening!

Roberto, I'm into the second week of driving my Montis with a Pathos Classc 1 Mark lll. I agree that the new hybrids don't need lots of power. Obviously a bigger room and louder listening levels require a bigger amplifier, but I reckon just 20 watts of quality power in normal circumstances will do very nicely. :)

Latest posts

Back