How do the EM-ESLs compare to the old Sources

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trias

Reaction score
Hi All,

I own a pair of ML Sources. My old amp died so I am currently torturing my ears by pairing them with an ancient budget Akai amp. (You might as well be trying to listen to the speakers through a thick curtain.) I'llk be auditioning some new amps soon, which brings a logistics problem (probably familiar to other ML owners): you are not going to be lugging around a set of 20 kg speakers.

Obviously before making a final decision I will try to get a home demo on my own speakers. In the mean time, I am stuck with using whatever the dealers have on show. Since Sources are out of production, I am not going to find a dealer that has a pair sitting around. There however a fair amount of dealers around with EM-ESLs in stock. This brings me to my question: How do the EM-ESLs compare to the old Sources in terms of sound? or phrased differently how good are the chances that an amp that I like on the EM-ESLs, will also sound good paired to my own Sources?

(Basically, I am hoping that there some owners around that have listend to the two side-by-side and can tell me about their experience.)

Hola Trias. The Electromotions are more dynamic, more open sound, better image, better with the size of the instruments and also have more articulated bass, in other words, better than the Source model. It has bigger electrostatic panel, and also, it is the latest Martin Logan stat panel. I do not know how ML did it, because it is a bargain. They are not good as the Theos model, but are very closed. The Electromotions are very easy to drive, and can be use with a big variety of power amplifiers, integrated amps or receivers, HT receivers that are on the market place now. They are the entry level of high quality sound and will shine with any type music. Jazz, classical, rock, folk, easy listen, vocals, etc. Many reviewers think that it is necessary to pair them with a sub, if you want to have the best, but with all respect, I think that they as they are, have enough bass for playing almost any kind of music with descent bass. I could live with then without a sub. Of course, when you use a sub, the deeper notes are better, but this is true for the top of the line CLXs, and I do like their bass. Now, this is my liking, and not necessary your liking. Read this review at tone audio: http://www.tonepublications.com/review/martinlogans-electromotion-esl/
Happy listening!

I think for the purpose of testing an amp, it would be a good idea to compare with a set of current Logans that are a similar load to the ones you have. Especially regarding impedance in the treble, and in active/passive woofer.

That will at least tell you if the amp you are considering will be able to drive yours. Even though, as Roberto is stating, current Logans are much more sensitive than older. So you will need more power with your older generation Logans than you will need with the new ones.

And no testing will other speakers will make you any wiser on the quality and tonal balance of the considered amp with your own speakers in your own room. Auditioning in stores can only be used as a tool to rule out candidates and make a shortlist of a handful of speakers to test at home. In the end, it will make you happy owning that amp.

Back