System #469 (Motion 40)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDIMike

Reaction score
1) Mychael Houck
2) Houston, TX
3) Motion 40
4) August 2013
5) No mods
6) Amplification -Parasound A21+
Pre-amplifier -Parasound P6
Sources (Digital) -Sonos Connect
Sources (Digital) -2014 MacMini running Audirvana.

I'm a huge Parasound fan. I've had 2 of their other amps over the years, and am now using the updated A21+. I snagged the P6/A21+ combo for 25% off and free tax, so it was really hard to pass up. I really love their performance for the price, and the DAC in the new P6 seems to be more than adequate. I'm still using my Motion 40s, and I'll likely be upgrading in the future once I buy a home and move my gear out of my office. I always said I'd move to electrostats, but honestly the new Motion 60XTis have caught my eye. I really love the ribbon tweeter. I was also really impressed with the KEF Reference 3, so only time will tell!

All cables are BlueJeans. I've found them to be a great balance between quality and price.

Attachments

• 20191104_174113897_iOS.jpg
    20191104_174113897_iOS.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 20191104_174255892_iOS.jpg
    20191104_174255892_iOS.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Ah you're telling me. I've already spent like 20 grand in my head. My next step is to upgrade my cabling and bi-amp the speakers. I definitely want some Electrostats at some point, and probably would have got the ElectroMotions this go around, except power and listening angle were concerns of mine. I'm told they are a bit more power hungry than my Motion 40s, and I wanted a speaker that would sound great even if I was up and around the house in addition to one space listening. The ElectroMotions appeared to have a narrower band in which they sounded great, but electrostats seem to have an "it" factor that my Motion's are lacking.

I'm also debating weather to put a sound card (something like HT Omega Claro Halo) or invest in a SONOS system. I like the idea of being able to control things in multiple rooms with my phone, but that also means I'd need to invest in a NAS since SONOS apparently can't read my Linux shares. Doing this on a budget is a bit tricky, as I'm sure a lot of you have found out.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys

Sure, but the ESLs are still going to work on pretty much anything. Even the amp you are using now would be considered under powered for the 40's by some. It really just takes you looking into your overall goals and seeing what equipment helps achieve said goals. Everyone's goals are different and everyone's nirvana is different. Its a fun hobby to get into, so you'll do a lot of testing an tuning and it will never end. You will be able to tell if your equipment is not preforming as you would like. The flaws and problems do not hide very easily.

Sure, but the ESLs are still going to work on pretty much anything. Even the amp you are using now would be considered under powered for the 40's by some. It really just takes you looking into your overall goals and seeing what equipment helps achieve said goals. Everyone's goals are different and everyone's nirvana is different. Its a fun hobby to get into, so you'll do a lot of testing an tuning and it will never end. You will be able to tell if your equipment is not preforming as you would like. The flaws and problems do not hide very easily.

Yeah, my current Marantz is absolutely underpowered for the 40s, but I can bi-amp in the meantime until I purchase the amplifier.

Just a quick update. I knew the in time between an amplifier, the NR1603 might be a tad underpowered for the Motion 40s.

10846_10101258499079926_1827140115_n.jpg

HUGE improvement in the low end by bi-amping. The woofers definitely woke up, and sound as phenomenal as I knew they would.

Did the Bi Amp really help the system? I was thinking about doing that to my 40's but peopl e keep telling me it wont make a difference. Did you notice improvement right away? Can you be more specific because I'm really thinking about doing this.

Did the Bi Amp really help the system? I was thinking about doing that to my 40's but peopl e keep telling me it wont make a difference. Did you notice improvement right away? Can you be more specific because I'm really thinking about doing this.

I absolutely saw improvement. My reciever is 50 watts per channel so bi-amping mate a huge dfference in the lows and mids. If your reciever provides plenty of power than you may notice less advantage.

My long term plan isto adda dedicated power amplifier so I wasn't terribly concerned about power on the AVR.

Hadn't posted in a long time, thought I'd drop another update in. It's taken me a while, but I think I'm at a point with electronics that I see no reason to make any adjustments. I've sold the P5 and an A21 that I was using, and moved to Parasound's new P6 and A21+. They are really awesome. I've kept the Sonos, but added a MacMini with Audirvana for reference streaming. Since the DAC in the P6 is much improved, I'm using that.

Mike, nice to see your improvements, now go ahead and update your equipment listing in your first post.

Good luck to the Astros tonight, a must game for them IMO.

Mike, nice to see your improvements, now go ahead and update your equipment listing in your first post.

Good luck to the Astros tonight, a must game for them IMO.

Ahh I thought I'd done that. Yeah..we were really disappointed they didn't get it done last night. Seems like the bats are either cold or on fire. No real in between.

Latest posts

Back