summit, hi-voltage nosie

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
one of my summits has developed a hi-voltage static noise in the bottom portion of the panel. this is noticeable when plugging in the summit from a cold start and when you unplug it it's get louder till it discharges completely. I called Martin Logan and they made mention that it could be the power supply. has anyone experinced this with there summits. not a very easy job to do replacing the power supply. thanks

Hola Ken ... that's usually the culprit of noise in all Martin Logan electrostatic speakers. This power supply is located behind the front woofer. Martin Logan will send to you, how to change it. I will take from you, a little effort and time, but, not a very difficult task to. It is a project for the week end. It would be wise to call a friend to help you out with it. Happy listening.

Static noise

Roberto : As per martin logan suggestion reversed panels between speakers and the static went with the panel. I emailed ml gone for the weekend so will hear Monday on what's next Any suggestions

Ken, you have a debris where you are listening the problem. Try to put your ears to find exactly the spot where the noise is louder. Memorized that place. Disconnect them from the mains AC over night, then at the morning, with the help of a paint brush and your vacuum cleaner, scrub at the front of the stat panel, and sweep the debris. Do not worry, the diaphragm is very resistant. You will not harm it with the paint brush. All electrostatic speakers make odd noises once and then. If you want, just leave it as it is, and it will go away soon. Happy listening!

Hi Ken

I had a similar problem a few months ago. I had a noise coming from one of my Montis. When I got close it was coming from the bottom 3 portions of the panel. If I applied
a little pressure it would go away. Then it came back a few minutes later. The noise stopped shortly after that, and the 3 portions of the panel where dead. I called ML and
they sent me a new panel, and that was the problem. Replacing the panel was pretty easy.

Brad

Is the power light above the power cord lit up green, or red, or off? If one of the latter, probably a power board failure.

I once had a similar problem a couple years ago, with power light staying RED. It RESOLVED after unplugging the Summit for 24 hrs, then powering up again. Perhaps that "reset" something in the circuitry.

Last edited:
If it is indeed only some dust or another particle... Once you have located it with your ears, it's unually easy to see with a sheet of paper and a flashlight: fix a sheet of white paper on the back of the panel. With the right paper size, it will easily fit and stay there. Then hold the flashlight behind it and look through the panel into the dispersed light.
I once found a very tiny feather this way that must have come out of a pillow.

Back