Newbie here!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowkey37

Reaction score
First of all, hello everyone and thanks for the plethora of info on this site. OK, I think my speaker journey has come to a halt for a while. I recently purchased a pair of Montis and could not be more content! I have a large room 19x45 that the Montis can easily fill with luscious sound. Question-Currently, I am running an Emotiva 3 x 200 watt amp. I have read that many of you are using Krell, Mcintosh and Levinson. What changes in sound characteristics should I expect when I upgrade to a truly hi end amplifier? The reason I ask is I have heard the Montis/Ethos sound good with even a high current reciever. Does this speaker reward you when drastically improving the amp?

Cheers,
Mike

Does this speaker reward you when drastically improving the amp?

Cheers,
Mike

Mike, welcome !

Congrats on The Montis, best damn 10k speaker on the planet IMO. The Montis like any other high end speaker truly benefits from quality amplification and in the case of electrostatics I'll add 'stable amplification' , given their known capacitence traits.

As you can tell by the various member sytems on the board there is no 'one' answer, myself I love both tube and SS !!

Welcome Mike. Emotiva seems to be a hit or miss, you either love em or hate em lol. Same with Krell and having owned two lower line Krell, I have not been happy with the sound (400xi and KAV-250A). I've had luck with Wyred 4 Sound and Musical Fidelity with my Logans (MF A300 really works well A5 has more power but loses some of the "magic", and the W4S sti-500 was really good too and a budget price).

Good choice on the Montis...wish I could afford some of those bad boys!

Hello, and welcome. I think the number of different amps reflected by the group is a large number, generally reflected by the individual tastes of the listener. The names you mention, are an interesting set, I think. I think Krell is a name from the past, I don't think their new stuff is on a level with the reputation they once had. Levinson, usually a great unit for bottom end, is rather expensive, and Mcintosh is Mcintosh, a matter of taste. I've worked my way, in the past 8 or 9 months, through a Levinson (good, but not right), a Cary 200.2 S/S (actually very nice, but I'm presently selling it, LOL), a Rogue Audio Medusa, an interesting Hybrid design that tries to combine, with some degree of success, the best of tubes and S/S, and am presently using a PrimaLuna Prologue 7 set of Mono Block all-tube amplifiers, which are my favorites of these 4 that I've used with my ML's thus far. I think if you go with Rogue Audio or PrimaLuna for tube or Hybrid design you can keep your costs down somewhat and upgrade your sound greatly. Both companies have a full line of tube components, and Rogue offers a couple of Hybrid designs. Of course, your Pre-amp and source components, as well as cables, interconnects, stands, etc., etc., etc...all play a role, LOL.
Scotty

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14619-System-461-(Theos)

I second the primaluna and I can give you a direct response how it sounds as I owned an emotiva amp and it turned my logans to shiz. The emotiva has power but so does the wyred4sound sx 500's I sold and sx1000 I have but they are garbage with the panels. I want my primaluna mono blocks back and am gutted that I flogged those badboys, hell even a $550 yaqin mc10 l tube integrated sounded better than the emo and w4s

The difference with tubes is that there seems to be so much more meat attatched to all the music, its full bodied with a nice analog sound that just makes you want to keep pushing it. With tubes on the panels you can listen to that smoother sweet sound for hours without the ... ok my ears have had enough

I second the primaluna and I can give you a direct response how it sounds as I owned an emotiva amp and it turned my logans to shiz. The emotiva has power but so does the wyred4sound sx 500's I sold and sx1000 I have but they are garbage with the panels. I want my primaluna mono blocks back and am gutted that I flogged those badboys, hell even a $550 yaqin mc10 l tube integrated sounded better than the emo and w4s

The difference with tubes is that there seems to be so much more meat attatched to all the music, its full bodied with a nice analog sound that just makes you want to keep pushing it. With tubes on the panels you can listen to that smoother sweet sound for hours without the ... ok my ears have had enough

Lol you are the only person in the C-USA that hasn't liked Wyred 4 Sound. Probably your cables :duh:

Back