Enclosures for in-ceiling speakers…

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mat

Reaction score
I’m interested in getting a pair of in-ceiling speakers (for rear surround sound), and I’m worried about the sound quality. Unfortunately with the room configuration, in-ceiling speakers is the only thing I can use. I was looking at the Helos 100 speakers, but then I read that enclosures for in-ceiling speakers can improve the sound greatly. Someone recommended “Dynabox”, but their systems cannot fit a speaker of that size. Any ideas? Should I go with the Helos 100 without the enclosures, should I get smaller speakers (such as the Electromotion IC) along with the Dynabox, or does anyone know of any enclosures that would fit the Helos 100?

the Helos was designed with the free air of a wall or attic in mind and putting a box around it will cost power handling and bass response. there is another item out there like the Dynabox, but the name escapes me that can fit it and yet allow the free air loading that allows the speaker to work as designed if you need that for fire code rating, etc.

the Helos was designed with the free air of a wall or attic in mind and putting a box around it will cost power handling and bass response. there is another item out there like the Dynabox, but the name escapes me that can fit it and yet allow the free air loading that allows the speaker to work as designed if you need that for fire code rating, etc.

Thanks for the info Peter. I was not aware that they were designed that way. I don't need to install enclosures because of a fire code; but because I heard that it improves the sound, and limits the sound going to the other rooms. If you can think of any other solution, or the name of that company it would be of great help. Thanks!

Back