speaker wire

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
i have a pair of summits and a stage and i would like get a good sounding inexpensive speaker cable that i could bi-wire the summits. presently i am using 12ga monster cable. my runs to them are around 30'. if not bi-wire single is fine. i am on a fixed income being that i am retired. thanks

Check out Signal Cable. Excellent speaker wire for a very reasonable cost. I use their silver cables with my Summits and am very happy with their performance.

Summit is not very likely to benefit from bi-wiring since powered bass element.

Summit is not very likely to benefit from bi-wiring since powered bass element.

Very true statement!!!

Actually, not necessarily a true statement. Because it already has an internal amp powering the bass, the Summit does not benefit from Bi-amping. But it does not follow from this that the Summit does not benefit from Bi-wiring. In fact, the addition of the internal amp may very well mean that it benefits more from Bi-wiring than previous ML's. Notice I said "may." I haven't done the testing to determine whether it does or does not. I am simply saying that the presence of the internal bass amp doesn't necessarily mean it won't benefit from bi-wiring. The Summit manual does state that Bi-wiring isn't necessary, but doesn't really address the issue of whether or not one may notice a perceived benefit in doing so.

Actually, not necessarily a true statement. Because it already has an internal amp powering the bass, the Summit does not benefit from Bi-amping. But it does not follow from this that the Summit does not benefit from Bi-wiring. In fact, the addition of the internal amp may very well mean that it benefits more from Bi-wiring than previous ML's. Notice I said "may." I haven't done the testing to determine whether it does or does not. I am simply saying that the presence of the internal bass amp doesn't necessarily mean it won't benefit from bi-wiring. The Summit manual does state that Bi-wiring isn't necessary, but doesn't really address the issue of whether or not one may notice a perceived benefit in doing so.

I suppose only way to find out is to go and test. If it sounds better then it is better :D
In principle the benefit of bi-wiring is the voltage modulation caused by current to panel element does not appear on bass terminals of the speaker and vice versa. Since the impedance of bass section of Summit is quite high and therefor current running is quite low the voltage modulation is minimal and benefit from bi-wiring as well.

i have a pair of summits and a stage and i would like get a good sounding inexpensive speaker cable that i could bi-wire the summits. presently i am using 12ga monster cable. my runs to them are around 30'. if not bi-wire single is fine. i am on a fixed income being that i am retired. thanks

To help you with decision-making, you might consider contacting the Cable Company. They will let you borrow a number of speaker cables for use at home and comparison. You just need to specify speakers and electronics and price range. I have dealt with the CableCo for more than 20 years and they are as good as gold.

Check out Signal Cable. Excellent speaker wire for a very reasonable cost. I use their silver cables with my Summits and am very happy with their performance.

X2 , I use their speaker wire as well as power cords. Frank (owner) is a pleasure to deal with.

Hola. Out there a many options. Other is DLlabs. Their product is made in U.S.A. Q-10 signature is not too expensive, and it is a very nice cable to use along with ML. Happy listening!

The speaker wire is more important that the interconnects so your going to want to look hard on the used market. Try finding some really old MIT that are not in circulation as they will best the performance of new cheaper cables. Look hard and be smart and you will beat the overpriced system

Hell,

I' m use Wireworld Eclipse 6 with ,y Montis and I'm very happy with it.

Greetings
Udo

There is no right answer. Reference Baby Doc's comment / Post No. 9.

FWIW, I like DH Labs.

GG

I use Audioquest. They are awesome and have a full range of products in all price ranges. I really hate promoting companies I have no vested interest in haha but it helps for testing purposes. Magnolia HT/AV carries audioquest so running in to pick up some wires to decide if you like them or not is feasible. And you can go in a return them if you don't like them.

Back