System no. 442 ( CLS, Motion 15, ELS 9 )

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coolcobramatt thanks for the kind response. Martin Logan Motion 15 are very nice loudspeakers.

If you keep in mind their size and price what they accomplish is pure magic.

Amey01 thanks for the kind response. Thanks for the welcome.

Last edited:
churchill many thanks for your kind words.

If possible please audition Motion 40 loudspeakers.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by just how good they sound.

The audio dealer in Austria from whom, a very long time ago, i had purchased my Sony

separates also gave to me for auditioning for a short time Quart Pure, 4 way acoustic suspension loudspeakers.

These loudspeakers were very heavy and i guess weighed approx. 45 kg each.

The low frequency response, if i remember the numbers correctly, extended to 28 Hz.

The size of the woofer was about one and a half times the size of Motion 15 mid-woofer.

The reason why i state the above is that the low frequency sound from MB Quart woofer sounded

like the low frequency tone from my Motion 15 aluminium mid-woofer. Each Motion 15 weighs approx.

5 Kg and is approx. 1 feet high.This makes me wonder whether Martin Logan has acquired a license

from Atlantic Technology Co. for incorporating their new and wonderful in a good sense bass technology

in the Motion series loudspeakers.

Last edited:
After 15 months with Motion 15.

Placed in two opposite corners of a fairly small room.

Motion 15's produce tuneful and solid bass from their aluminum woofers. Vocals are not intense or deep. vocals have slightly better than light presence. Tweeter performs better than the midrange vocals. When I play The Essential Jean Michel Jarre there is imaging present on the transients. In a my small room the loudspeaker response is not flat. The overall sound is dynamic.

Placed in two opposite corners of a large room, the present location.

In their present location the loudspeakers are measured 15 feet apart and placed near corners to improve bass response in a large room. They are a measured 2 feet and 20 cm. above the ground. Measured distance to listening seat is 21 feet.
The Motion 15 plays dynamically. There is imaging on transients. Vocals have more presence. The Andrea B. Album Passione produces deep sounding vocals. The tweeter sounds better by being more clear in this room. The sound is dynamic and clear at one third preamplifier volume mark or 38 decibels remaining to reach 80 decibels. Seems to me that the loudspeakers play considerably more flat in this room compared to the previous room. Overall sound is dynamic and clear. Compared to low frequency response in small room the low frequency response in the large room is on the lighter side.

Conclusion.
The Motion 15 have the traditional or signature Martin Logan sound. Their low frequency performance is the best, followed by the tweeter and last the midrange. I have been spoilt by the CLS electrostatic midrange and electrostatic tweeter. The Motion 15 high and low frequency performance is more dynamic than the CLS 1 when operated with my electronics. When compared with CLS 1 the motion 15 is not so pure or free from low level distortion. In all fairness this low level distortion may not be due to the loudspeaker and may be caused by more than once repaired sony and once repaired Denon and the quality of the power from the ac mains. Through the Motion 15 orchestra and jazz sound very good.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:
Rehan, glad you are happy with the Anthem and your CLSs. One suggestion I would suggest is to raise the CLSs up 8-10" off the floor. Some of those concrete blocks under the electronics will work fine. You will be amazed how much it will change the low end and consequentially the mid range. Ideally get the center of the panel raised to be firing directly at ear level.

Rehan, just wait about two months of continuing playing to the music. The amp needs to break in. There are inside a very sturdy capacitors...you will be listening things that you never thought they were there...Vocals are free of glare, and the highs are very clean. Play some cymbals, they are smoth and in the air. Enjoy you new sound!

Rehan, glad you are happy with the Anthem and your CLSs. One suggestion I would suggest is to raise the CLSs up 8-10" off the floor. Some of those concrete blocks under the electronics will work fine. You will be amazed how much it will change the low end and consequentially the mid range. Ideally get the center of the panel raised to be firing directly at ear level.

Thanks for the sound advice for good sound quality. Before a few weeks ago i had my CLS raised up on concrete blocks with no backward angle.

Some change in life is good. With my new Anthem amp i am not using stands. And my CLS have backward angle and lucky for me the audio

quality is still good.

I may at some point in the future follow your advice.

Thanks once again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, you have hijacked the system thread of Azim, the OP. The mods should move the last several posts to Rehan's system thread, where they belong.

Hola Rehan and Friends. Rehan and I had being talking about his system via email. And I gave to him some little advises of how to get the most from his beloved CLSs. He had reported every change that he made and seeing his pics, I can say that he had follow my suggestions. It looks that now he is really enjoying his CLSs as I did with mines.

Good for you Rehan. I do know it took a while, but now its time to report to us your new improved findings. Happy listening!

Thanks very much Roberto for very valuable advice regarding optimal set up of CLS.

I think i will report my findings under a review of my new Anthem amplifier driving CLS, with source the worlds least expensive, 2V single ended, 4V balanced and high resolution DSD DAC.

Back