Wyred 4 Sound STI-500

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolcobramatt

Reaction score
Got the sti-500 in last night. I've only had a few hours to listen but it seems that all the reviews were true. It has incredible detail and articulation and the sound stage increased dramatically. That's saying alot too as the Musical Fidelity has an amazing sound and the Krell has extreme muscle, both are what I have to compare too along with a past Plinius 8200 mkII. It does appear to be a tad more laid back due to slightly less high frequency but the superior imaging makes that an almost moot point. There is absolutely no noise and nothing but crystal clear music that comes out. No matter how hard I pushed it, it never got warm to the touch. The remote does leave a little to be desired but it is what it is.

The volume control is quite touchy but it's obviously at a higher level of quality over anything else I've ever owned. I thought the amp was messed up as when I cranked it up to 50 (roughly mid-level) it shut down then started clicking on and off. I went through all my connections and it kept doing it. Finally I opened up the door to my cabinet and it stopped. I thought it was possessed. Turns out I had the unit too close to the closing door and with the touchy volume knob, it was just enough pressure to touch and retouch the knob and turn itself off and on. Jeez I felt like a dummy.

I will repost again in a week once I've had time to live with it but at first impression, it doesn't have the dry characteristics you read about with similar ICE powered amps. It almost matches the Musical Fidelity in sweetness but I can't adequately describe how much more detail that pours out.

Guys, this could truly be a diamond in the rough. They also make an STI-1000, which pushes out 1100 wpc @ 4 ohms. This one is 540 and doesn't seem to run out of breath when driven to levels most would probably shy away from. I love home theater and it gives me serious impact and dynamics on movies. (And that was Despicable Me lol).

That is very helpful. Right now I am between W4S and D-Sonic. They both get rave reviews but the D-Sonics are just a smidgen cheaper and get a bit more power, so that might be a decider for me.

Let us know of anymore findings please.

That is very helpful. Right now I am between W4S and D-Sonic. They both get rave reviews but the D-Sonics are just a smidgen cheaper and get a bit more power, so that might be a decider for me.

Let us know of anymore findings please.

Have not heard of D-Sonic yet. Someone has a nice set of W4S dual 500 monos on the 'Gon now. I would have considered those if I had the extra boot for a matching pre. It's hard to beat this unit for the price even new. If you can find one used, it represents one heckuva bang for the buck.

Yeah I am not ready to buy yet but I like compiling my options. I need to pay off some bills before the semester starts again, but good news is I got the next two semesters paid for by scholarships (pays for have good grades haha) so the money I would have spent there will more then likely go to a set of amps haha.

What are those mono's priced at? You have peeked my interest in W4S and I am now going to sell the tube monoblocks I have

What are those mono's priced at? You have peeked my interest in W4S and I am now going to sell the tube monoblocks I have

$1350 for the set, dealer on Agon and I know he's itching to sell as he pmed me several times. PMed you the link.

And what do you mean now you have interest? You are the one that recommended W4S to me lol.

Well I have had conversations with friends but your the friend that owns electrostats so now I am all pumped up to snag a pair lol

Well I have had conversations with friends but your the friend that owns electrostats so now I am all pumped up to snag a pair lol

I dont think you will be unhappy with the move. Listening to everything now and it sounds as good as it ever has. The Theos still only have about 60 hrs at best so they aren't even close to opening up.

After listening for a week or so, nothing has changed to change my original opinions. I think the best thing about it was how it opened up the already magnificient sound stage I already had (and with the Theos not even broken in yet I expect even better things to come). It has all the power one could want, easily exceeding the Krell in muscle with the Krell being more forward overall. Sound quality is every bit as good as the MF but the A300 slightly edging it out in top end sparkle. Musicality, power and detail are it's three strongest assets. To me it blends the best of the MF and Krell with the slightly laid back presence that reminds me of my Plinius 8200 mkII. I guess the best way to describe it in general is a Plinius 8200 mkII with double the power.

It has absolutely zero noise, runs just barely warm at best, and I haven't needed to turn it up past 55 (max 99) and trust me guys I love it LOUD. Gone is the upper end shrillness that the Krell added at higher levels.

It simply doesn't add anything to the music period. It is the most transparent piece of equipment I've ever used and I've swapped out many things in my 15 years of tweaking.

Oh and the remote sucks.

Last edited:
Back