Martin Logan EFX as rears??????

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my EFXs on the rear wall, about two feet behind my listening position. They are eight feet from the center of the listening position. Mounted height places the middle of the ESL panel at ear level. The output volume has been balanced with the front and center channels through my surround processor with an LF cut-off of 70 dB (same as my Stage X center channel). My 5.1 listening experience is quite extensive as I am a professional Blu-ray reviewer. There is a tremendous amount of variation in surround channel information on typical Blu-ray video and audio discs with some having very little (except for ambience) while a few have substantial surround effects.

The so-called "flashlight" image is not critical for surrounds. In fact, the more panel that is exposed to the listening position, the better the presentation of ambient sound effects. Hope this is helpful.

I'm revisiting this topic as of late because I plan on redoing some acoustic treatments in my home theater area and remembered this post.

So you place your EFX to the site of your listening position? Are you still getting a strong rear soundfield? I currently have them placed at 110 degrees with the inner third of the panel pointed at the MLP and feel this setup can be improved but I am not sure how... I have not truly been impressed using these as surrounds yet and I feel that is because of how I have them setup.

I'm revisiting this topic as of late because I plan on redoing some acoustic treatments in my home theater area and remembered this post.

So you place your EFX to the site of your listening position? Are you still getting a strong rear soundfield? I currently have them placed at 110 degrees with the inner third of the panel pointed at the MLP and feel this setup can be improved but I am not sure how... I have not truly been impressed using these as surrounds yet and I feel that is because of how I have them setup.

I don't have EFX for surrounds, I have Source ESL's as surrounds and I have my 7.1 setup just like THX recommends for Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD Master Audio:

dolby-truehd-dts-hd-speaker-setup-400x300.jpg

The Source ESL's are at 90° directly facing the MLP, no toe in/flashlight trick.

Try that if you can and see if the sound field improves.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I'll give it a shot and see how it sounds after some testing. I'm also using Script i for wide channels and feel they might become redundant when the EFX are positioned at 90 degrees, we'll see.

Back