Warm Greetings

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solomono

Reaction score
I am in the process of reinstalling my audio system as a prelude to purchasing a new one. I have a pair of Martin Login CLS of unknown vintage, A California Audio Labs CD changer, and a Naim preamp. Unfortunately my power amp was damaged in storage and is irreparable.
I would like to install this system in the family room and possibly use the components as part of a surround sound system, so the utmost performance is not critical. At present I would like to purchase an amp that does not totally destroy the sound of Martin Logan. I would like to spend about 1000 dollars. I see the Emotiva XPA3 at a very decent price. Can it drive the CLS with decent performance?
is there an alternative within my price range?, used is acceptable but in good repair as I am not very familiar with tuning amps
Also I would like to link the system with my iTunes library.My budget is 100 dollars here as well. I see the Sonos at decent price. Is this considered hi fidelity?
Any other thoughts on either questions is very welcome
Thanks
Solomon

Welcome ot the group !

CLS while one of the all time great Logan speakers do require good amplification to drive them. From what I've seen (heard) the Emotiva gear, while not the final answer to high level articulation are fundimentally a good value. IMO, with solid d state amplification you would want a min of 100 watts per channel with an amp that has the ability to 'dbl down' it's power.

if budget is tight, I highly recommend a used Pass Lab or Bryston. You may have to increase your budget a bit, but it will be worth every penny.

I'm switching over to Wyred4Sound, which offers a great option for you with their Class D amps, here is a MC 5 5 channel amp on Agon now under your budget:
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/multi-ch-wyred-4-sound-mini-mc-5-silver-2013-06-18-amplifiers-96376

and here is the exact integrated I just bought for a few hundred more:
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/so...13-06-19-integrateds-22902-charlottesville-va

Mine will be in Monday and I can give you a better idea of how it sounds with my Theos. They have high current and offer loads of power, which should be a great match for our MLs. All the reviews make them sound like an amazing deal.

if budget is tight, I highly recommend a used Pass Lab .

Hey 'Northy' I sugest you come 'Southy' ......tight budget and Pass do not go hand-in-hand ! Great gear I agree !

Hey 'Northy' I sugest you come 'Southy' ......tight budget and Pass do not go hand-in-hand ! Great gear I agree !

Well, I mentioned "used" and "increase the budget a bit." . His budget is around $1,000. The most-affordable, two-channel (150W per side) Pass Lab amp could be bought on the used market for about $1,500 if he does his research.

I believe in saving the money to buy a quality product that you will not outgrow for a considerable amount of time.

Well, I mentioned "used" and "increase the budget a bit." . His budget is around $1,000. The most-affordable, two-channel (150W per side) Pass Lab amp could be bought on the used market for about $1,500 if he does his research.

I believe in saving the money to buy a quality product that you will not outgrow for a considerable amount of time.

I agree on buying quality but brother finding a Pass Labs amp for $1500 would be a rare find. I was considering one of their integrateds and not one for under the $2k mark after looking for years. If you ever find a Pass Labs integrated for $1500 and aren't going to purchase, shoot me a link as I will.

Last edited:
Back