Motion 20 vs EFX?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyderkv

Reaction score
MLO,

I'm looking at either Motion 20 or EFX electrostats for front channels but don't know which will perform better. The EFX was designed as a surround channel but is about twice as much as the 20. The room is 10x16 with hardwood floors and cement walls/windows

They will go on each side of the screen against the wall. The Spires will be gone

Thanks in advance for your input
IMG_0356.jpg

Last edited:
How come you can't just keep the Spires?

They are the best choice in my opinion

Last edited:
The thread wasn't about that but thanks for responding anyways. The reason is that after they come away from the walls and in, they will block the bathroom door and chairs that I want to put next to them plus I can't keep the boxes in the kitchen because they are huge. I wouldn't be able to sell them without boxes. I can just chuck the EFX boxes out. Pluss, the envolopement is horrible. The speakers dissapear when I'm between them, not on the couch. The room is bad and I'm not willing to make acoustical changes

Do you know which would sound better between Motion 20 and EFX? They will go on top of the entertainment center and against the wall. What about aesethically?

Last edited:
The EFX really need some room to breathe in order to get that signature sound found on the other floor standing ESL speakers but as you can see that is nearly impossible to do due to their design of being wall mounted so close to the wall. If you were to place the EFX to the sides of the screen near the corners I imagine you would have the same kind of issues you do now or probably even worse. They may work if you can fit them on the side walls near what looks like the doorway trim on the right and the window on the left because that will allow you to rotate them out from the wall and give some space behind the panel.

I own a pair of Motion 15s for a bedroom setup and think they are great, a huge step-up from the old Motion line with better build quality and better sound.

Is your setup 5.1? I can't tell from the picture if you have any other speakers or if you are using a subwoofer. If you have a subwoofer all you may need is a bookshelf like the Motion 15 which will get you an identical sound to the Motion 20 for 60hz and above and it will save even more space in your room.

Last edited:
Thanks Boris, I was actually going to nail them to the side walls as you mentioned, just didn't know if that would make sense from a design stand point pluss the wall on the window side is concrete. I would need a contractor to drill for me, make anchors or however. But I'll see if bringing them out makes them sound better although I'm not concerned about the sweet spot since I'm always moving

Planning on the Dynamo 700 wireless once I get the EFX. It's not 5.1 right now but was planning on an additional pair of EFX for the surrounds. Just looking for the best sound for the smallest footprint

I'll end up getting the EFX. Thanks for your input

Last edited:
Back