A Martin Logan Owner in Love

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musical 2

Reaction score
Hi. I got into Hi Fi many years ago in order to dream and not be brought back to reality by so many clicks and pops and worse outright distortion. Over the years from my first system ( Quad ESL 57's, Quad 303 and Quad 33 with a Sansui tt / SME 3009, Shure V15) I have had quite a few. In 1991 at a Hi Fi show in Wellington New Zealand I first saw Martin Logan CLS's. Wow! I moved to the UK for some years and bought other systems including the Quad 989 spkr's.
About a year ago on Trade me a New Zealand site like e bay I saw for sale a pair of ML CLS 2's. I listened to them and looked at them and I was instantly in love and remain so to this day.
There is more to listening than just the straight physics of the system. It is quite ethereal looking at the harbor through a device that is sounding so lovely.

My system is as follows:
All components including the speakers are mounted on Townshend Seismic sinks. The turntable is a Michell Gyro SE with clamp and upgraded external power supply. The pickup arm is a SME V5 with an Ortofon Kontrapunkt B MC cartridge using a Trichord Power supply and Amp. All interconnects are Van den Hull The First Ultimate. Power cables are Isotek. Speaker cable is Kimber Kable 4TC with graphite RFI chokes and WBT connectors.
The Amp is Musical Fidelity Nu Vista M3 and Nu Vista M3 power supply. The CD player is a Musical Fidelity Nu Vista 3D. I have a Stax SRM 007t tube amp with a pair of Stax SR 007 headphones.
The crowning glory are the pair of scratched and worn but marvelous ML CLS2's. For all their sonic imperfections they are to me just marvelous. I can float off to the world of dreams for hours.
I do wish that they still made this model or something that looked as gorgeous. I am thus a big fan. Does ML do a refurbishment service at all?
Cheers IMG_0432.jpg

I am in love with the view of your place. Wow, is that a bay you are overlooking? ML + your view; you are one lucky fellow.

Yes, a really beautiful view. Is there any chance that you can rearrange the furniture? It looks like you have lots of furniture between the listening position and the speakers.

You should put up your system in the "Members' Systems" section.

IMG_0435.jpgHi and thanks for your comments. Northy. The house is on a prominence and overlooks a harbour. I have a wonderful view and it is approx 270 deg. I shall attempt to add a pic but it will be but a part. It is great to see the city lights through the ML's at night. Listening to music at the same time is just uncanny. Where does it come from!!
Bernard. thanks for your ides. I have posted on " Member's Sections" now. It had to be approved and then some changes made to the format. I thank Tom for his help. Yes. The Furniture!. It looks worse than it is and the speakers do have a clear path to my ears. I would prefer a larger room, or to get rid of furniture but neither is really feasible. I have fiddled about a bit with placement and it now does seem to work ok. I have a friend who works in a local Hi Fi Shop and has years in the trade. He is a panel man and currently uses Quad 988's, having had Accustats and Magneplanars in the past. We had a great time a few days ago blueprinting the turntable and arm. Big difference now on Vinyl.

Latest posts

Back