New Member with questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blind Hog

Reaction score
I am a new member to this forum and I am not yet a ML owner. I recently purchased a set of HiFiMan HE-400 headphones and have fallen in love with the sound signature that these cans have. They are described as very clean, crisp, and open. Some say that they are too bright, but I love the sound. They have ruined me for listening through my speakers. It has been suggested to me that the ML Electrostats may have a similar sound signature since the design is somewhat simililar to the Hifiman manetic planer design. I have not yet auditioned the MLs. I have a Best Buy Magnolia store in the area, but I am not sure what they have set up to demo and have reservations about the quality of their set up. Is anyone familiar with the sound of Hifiman? Do the Martin Logans have a similar sound signature? I appreciate any assistance.

I have another question. In looking at the products currently offered by Martin Logan, The Summit X, Montis, Ethos, and Theos all appear to have the same Electrostat section leading me to believe that the difference may be in the woofer section. Is this the case? Also, how low do the Electrostats go? Are the woofer sections in these products Sub Woofers? Are they powered? I have a pair of excellent subs in two Paradigm Servo 15's. If I bought the ML's, I would still let the Servo 15's handle the bottom end. If the electrostat sections of these products are the same, it would make sense to save money and purchase the Theos. Thanks for your help.

I have another question. In looking at the products currently offered by Martin Logan, The Summit X, Montis, Ethos, and Theos all appear to have the same Electrostat section .

First off, welcome.....second, no they are not the same panel. perhaps your moniker is justified 'Blind Hog', sorry couldn't resist ! go back and read the specs.

Also, how low do the Electrostats go?

again, read the specs (270-340 Hz)

Are the woofer sections in these products Sub Woofers?

nope

Are they powered?

yep

I have a pair of excellent subs in two Paradigm Servo 15's. If I bought the ML's, I would still let the Servo 15's handle the bottom end.

depending on room interaction into the second octave probably makes sense

If the electrostat sections of these products are the same, it would make sense to save money and purchase the Theos. Thanks for your help.

as I said they are not, go back a read the specs.

FWIW and IMo, given your subs on hand I'd go for the Montis integrate your subs( correctly) and your at or above the Summitt 'X'

It's physically impossible for a set of headphones to realistically recreate the "dimensionality" and "space" of a good speaker system.

Dave, behave yourself. I may have to edit your posts.

It's physically impossible for a set of headphones to realistically recreate the "dimensionality" and "space" of a good speaker system.

Dave, behave yourself. I may have to edit your posts.

Gordon, I don't know if we should ever speak in absolutes. I've been spending a LOT of time recently listening to the upper eschelon of both headphones and headphone amplifiers and I have to say that a few years ago I might have made the same statement. I'd be less inclined to say that now. In fact, I'd say that with a real top flight headphone (Audeze LCD-3, HiFi Man HE-600, Stax SR-009) and a similar statement amp (Eddie Current Zana Deux, Red Wine Bellina, Woo Audio WA5-LE or WES), it's very much possible to spend less than $10K on a system that will rival speaker/amp combinations that would set one back $50-$70K (or more)!

Now, you may not be able to share that experience with a group, but it certainly can be a state of the art experience, and you might be suprized at the spatial and soundstage qualities present. Furthermore, I'd argue that detail retrieval, especially when free of room interactions, can be revelatory and sublime.

Blind Hog - getting back to your original question, I'd say yes, Martin Logans are going to get as close to the sound you hear out of your HE-400's, and I'd second what Dave said about the Montis - well integrated with your existing subs, it would be a great solution.

Personally, I've made a move to have both a speaker based and headphone based system as both bring me a lot of satisfaction.

Blind Hog,

Welcome to our forum! May I suggest that you go to the Magnolia store and arrange a demo of the ML speakers?

If you like them, and they are within your budget, I would go for one of the active woofer versions (Theos, Montis or Summit X).

I'll trust your judgement Tim.

However, I trust you would agree that it is an entirely different experience within the context of trying to recreate a live musical event in your home.

Not making fun of you but I haven't seen many folks wearing headphones at a symphony concert or a jazz venue.

Gordon

I'll trust your judgement Tim.

However, I trust you would agree that it is an entirely different experience within the context of trying to recreate a live musical event in your home.

Not making fun of you but I haven't seen many folks wearing headphones at a symphony concert or a jazz venue.

Gordon

True Gordon - only the guys at the mixing board...

It is a different experience, that's part of why I like the flexibility of both. Trust me, I'm ready to get rid of my CLS's!

Tim,

I should have been more specific regarding my perceived differences.

Best analogy is a visual one.

Many well recorded jazz cd's typically have some type of horn that is recorded in the far back left of the soundstage. From my typical seat, which is slightly to the right of the right speaker, the "apparent distance" from the recorded horn to my ears is easily 15 to 20 feet.

Hope that helps explain.

On another note, are you serious about selling your CLS's?

That is one outstanding / classic transducer.

Be careful amigo.

Gordon

Gordon, I just re-read my prior post. What I meant to say was "Trust me, I'm NOT ready to get rid of my CLS's". I can't imagine parting with them. NO!!!

With regard to your description of image localization, I get it. I'm just saying that with the very best headphone equipment the experience is very similar, if not heightened to some extent. What may be lacking is just a hint of the overall ambience, the scale of the room, the volume if you will, the dimensionality. With most of the really good HP systems I've been auditioning there is a sense of space and I can still hear that horn 15 to 20 feet away, but I may be missing some of the bloom as the notes emerge from the bell of the horn and fill the space around it. But... It's very close!

Last edited:
Back