Ethos and placement

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAR

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster here. I'm looking closely at selling my McIntosh XLS340 speakers and replacing them with the Ethos (Ethoses?). I've already auditioned them in the store and they just blow away what I have now. Part of the attraction is the powered bass units, which means I can discard a very old Velodyne sub that the thin Mac speakers need even for 2-channel listening (I have a newer Velodyne that kicks in only for 5.1). I've read that ML speakers are picky about where they're placed. My room is very large, with a front cathedral ceiling about 15' high. Because of a wall unit plus screen stand and the fact that people walk in front of them, I'm forced to position the speakers about 11' apart. The distance of each from the main listening position (mine) is about 13', an isoceles triangle. I could separate the speakers further to get closer to an equilateral triangle if that helps the imaging. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

welcome to a whole new world

Don't try to define your placement of speakers like that. You need to listen. Placement with regards to the walls in back of the speakers is crucial as well, since the speakers radiate both front and back. My Theos are about 39" from the wall in back of them. Experiment. I do know some sound engineers who say the whole "triangle" thing is wrong. I'm not so sure, but for arguments sake, my speakers are about 7.5 feet apart and about 11 feet from my ears. You also have a burn-in period of as much as a hundred hours or so, but once they're right, they can sing. Enjoy.

see my system http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.png

Last edited:
They really aren't as picky as their reputation. I think they will work fine in the room you describe. They do award very careful adjustment of the placement, but truth be told, so does dynamic speakers. Take the plunge, and live happy ever after - at least sonically...

I avoid the equilateral triangle positioning. For me, it doesn't work. I prefer to have my speakers in isosceles triangle positioning, with me sitting at the vertex angle.

Latest posts

Back