Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: System #460 (CLX)

Quote Originally Posted by roberto View Post
    Digital right now is a child of 10 years old.
    I think this child was actually born in the -70's

Hahahahaha. Wikipedia says this: "...
    In 1937, British scientist Alec Reeves files the first patent describing Pulse-code modulation.[1]

In 1943, Bell Telephone Laboratories develops the first digital scrambled speech transmission system, SIGSALY.[2]

In 1957, Max Mathews of Bell develops the process to digitally record sound via computer.

In 1967, the first digital audio magnetic tape recorder is invented[clarification needed]. A 12-bit 30 kHz stereo device using a compander (similar to DBX Noise Reduction) to extend the dynamic range.

In the 1970s[when?], Thomas Stockham makes the first digital audio recordings using standard computer equipment and develops a digital audio recorder of his own design, the first of its kind to be offered commercially (through Stockham's Soundstream company).

In 1970, James Russell patents the first digital-to-optical recording and playback system, which would later lead to the Compact Disc.[3]

In 1972, Denon invents the first 8-track reel to reel digital recorder.

In 1978, Sound 80 Records of Minneapolis records "Flim and the BB's" (S80-DLR-102) directly to digital before pressing the vinyl LP. The mastering engineer is Bob Berglund. The recording system is a 3M Digital Audio Mastering System.

In 1979, the first digital Compact Disc prototype was created as a compromise between sound quality and size of the medium.

In 1979, the first digitally recorded album of popular music Bop 'Til You Drop by guitarist Ry Cooder is released by Warner Bros. Records. The album was recorded in Los Angeles on a 32-track digital machine built by the 3M corporation.

In 1982, the first digital compact discs are marketed by Sony and Philips,[4] and New England Digital offers the hard disk recorder (Sample-to-Disk) option on the Synclavier, the first commercial hard disk (HDD) recording system.[5] Also that same year, Peter Gabriel releases, Security, which was an early full digital recording.

In 1990, digital radio begins in Canada, using the L-Band.[6]

In 1991 Alesis Digital Audio Tape or ADAT is a tape format used for simultaneously recording eight tracks of digital audio at once, onto Super VHS magnetic tape - a format similar to that used by consumer VCRs. The product was announced in January 1991 at the NAMM convention in Anaheim, California. The first ADAT recorders shipped over a year later in February or March 1992.[7]

In 1996, optical discs and DVD players begin selling in Japan..."

Analogue was born in the 14th century with a bell and a cylinder...

The child that I was telling about, was mine. It was my first truly experience with digital sound. My first cd player was a Sonograph, made by Conrad Johnson. It was a Philips cd player modified by them. At that time, I had a Mitchel turntable. Of course I loved more my Mitchel. Happy listening!

The first device that did reproduce sound was a bell with a cylinder, made in the 14th century. Also says: ...The earliest known recordings of the human voice are phonautograph recordings, called "phonautograms", made in 1857. They consist of sheets of paper with sound-wave-modulated white lines created by a vibrating stylus that cut through a coating of soot as the paper was passed under it. An 1860 phonautogram of Au Clair de la Lune, a French folk song, was played back as sound for the first time in 2008 by scanning it and using software to convert the undulating line, which graphically encoded the sound, into a corresponding digital audio file...

Before Martin Logan, I had all the line by Conrad Johnson. I got my first Sonograph CD player on 1986. this same year, I got my very first contact with Martin Logan. I became a ML dealer on 1987. Met Mr. Gayle Sanders and Mr. Jim Power at the CES show at Chicago Summer Consumers Electronic Show. And since then, I have being a witness of their faults and success! Faults? Here in Costa Rica, our weather is too humid. The stat panels sometime did last only two weeks of singing! I had to replaced them very often, and of course, always had the support from Mr. Jim Power any time. I became somehow a rat lab. I got different types of panel coating formulas, to try them here, and had to report the finding. The Company made a special chamber, where the humidity and temperature varies dramatically for testing the new coating. In '93, as I recall, the new adhesive for the coating was resulting a miracle. No more failures. This atomic level adhesive had being improved at a such point that on these days, and over a decade ago, there is no more problem regarding humidity and temperature. Back to my first cd player, I had at that time, a Mitchel turntable. Of course, the Mitchel with a Denon MC cartridge. I think it was the 103, and got hooked by the Moving Coil sound!. Then got the Koetsu, and Sumiko Talisman Alchemist IIIS. Still I use this cartridge. I am not saying, it is better than my Koestu, but I do like the Van Del Hul shape tip. Happy listening!

Just lovely.

Hola Ted... Thanks!. Happy listening.

Vato, is that you (the distinguished-looking guitarist) in your avatar?

Hola my dear friend Bernard!. Yup, thatīs me. My brother Arturo took it on my 65th birthday four months ago (December 25th). Thanks for the nice description of me, hahahahahahahaha.... still waiting a call from my niece. Happy listening!

Super User

Roberto, great system. I really like your listening room. It just goes to show you don't need to have a huge room to enjoy electrostatics.

I agree with your comments about digital audio - it's come a long way for home use. I know the quality has been there in the studio for many years. But it's only recently that quality dacs and digital peripherals have become more affordable.

I have to say though, that over the years I have walked away from vinyl many times. Just when I think I'm over it, I weaken and play an album. I don't know whether digital is 'better' than vinyl or not, but there's some kind of magic going on when that little chunk of metastable allotrope of carbon hits the polyvinyl chloride.

Thank you my dear friend!. Well regarding vinyl, I know what you mean. I just want to be away a little time. My turntables are getting some dust now... digital is on these days, enough, with the right timbre and great stage. For the first time in my whole audiophile life, I could listen a complete violin with Spanish guitar... about one hour and my ears did not get any fatigue, because with my other dacs, I got that. Never got that with a LP. Again, thank you so much for your nice words! Happy listening.

Hola Roberto,

Thanks for sharing your system. I really like your guitar-and-CD-shelf-floor-to-ceiling room tuning. It's good to hear that you focus on which medium gives you the best and most relaxed musical experience. For me, that medium is vinyl, but even I have to admit that CD can be fine today.

Hola Bevensee. I spent more of the half of my life listening to the analogue players, these are, reel to reelt tape decks, turntables, etc. Well, digital on these days is very good, and I think, with all respect, as good as vinyl. The Time is the clue too. I listen more music now, thanks to Itunes. As you do know, needles are very expensive and they wear during the regular use. Also, they collect a lot of dust, making when are dirty, horrible sound, and tons of distortion. Also, with the turntables, you have to deal with wow and flutter, lateral distortion, etc. in other words, vinyl is not perfect. Have you seeing a -20 dB 10KHz signal wave tone through any cartridge, and the same 10KHz tone in a cd player? How about -30 or -50dB? You will be amazed how good this signal is reproduced by the cd player. On these days, the algorithm and the software to compose the digital signal to analogue, is awesome. The presentation of the stage, the size of the instruments, the timbre, the feeling of the musician(s) is outstanding too. At the beginning of the digital sound, it was like a joke. I had a lot of ear stress when I did listen to the music with the digital players, no matter the cost or the brand. This was my problem. Not now!...digital is very enjoyable. It is fast, clean, free of distortion, music is right away in your ears, and the over all sound is improving each day. There are so many different ways to process the signal path... but what I am doing is, I focused in what is good, and not in what is bad. The minor flaws that might arise, I do not put my effort and attention on these...what I do is the contrary. Try to do it, you might like it as I do, and really enjoy it. Again, thanks for your kind words. I can see that you have the same passion for the good sound! I wish you a very happy listening!

Hi roberto,
    You only have 1 depth i in your system?

Yes, only one, my room is too small, I think that I do not need more bass, I have plenty. I had two, but no big deal, but two subs are the right way if you have a bigger room ... so I sold one, and got the computer, the uLink and the M-DAC digital processor. Big change for better in my system. Right now, I am trying the Ref USB to coax converter, and I am liking very much what I am listening. It opens up more the sound stage and less digital garbage. I am listening crystal clear music. Regards my friend. Happy listening!

Just wanted to shared my RefLink from Bel Canto. The computer sound now is outstanding. I am really enjoying a great, natural, well balanced, free of glare, with the right timbre and harmonic context and all this coming from my Mac Mini. It is a wow!!! Happy listening!

Also, I am back with my tube amp. I just installed in it, the KT-120 power tubes, replacing my 6550Cs. Also, a little adjustment at the bias. I am truly having a great time, with such of wonderful musician(s) playing for me!... I am a kind of selfish, but it is the truth. I am getting goosebumps, and I am catching myself with my foot, moving it along the rhythm and beat of the music! Superb! Happy listening to all!