Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: System #460 (CLX)

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Roberto, it must be great to not be an audiophile any more..........but have CLXes!
    Well, still like the good sound! But I am not listening to any problem that I might have, I just listen good musician(s) playing for me here, in my own place. I am enjoying more each day my system, and I know for sure, that you are doing the same thing. I wish to all, a very happy listening!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Zaret View Post
    Roberto,
    IT looks great and I am sure it sounds wonderful. I know it must be very natural and very revealing.

Best of luck

Jeff
    Hola Jeff, time flies, right? I hope you are doing well, and also, enjoying your system too. Thanks for your kind words! Happy listening!

Roberto,
    Have you considered getting an Olive 6HD for your CD collection. Speaking from my experience it plays Cd music better than and player and better than any computer system. The Olive is silent and just unwraps the full sound from the source bits. The ability to create playlists and the Internet Radio feature delivers sparking sound from sources such as Linn Rock, Jazz and Classical at 320kbit/s. Live doesn't sound better. Ps, yes I sold my CD collection for nil, but saved space and made the misses happy in the end.

Summit/Stage/DescentI/Fresco I/Jeff Rowland /Olive 6HD

Hola. Thanks for the advise. MMMM, I have to be honest with you Thanks for your recommendation, but I am very happy with my sound quality right now. I just ordered a new Reference Link by Bel Canto. I am doing well with my Mac Mini, and truly I can say, the sound that I am getting now is breath taking. There are a lot of gear that makes your system to sing along with the music. I do understand it. But, many of the gear is a matter of liking, right? I do believe that the sound of particular brand does not means better than other, it just sounds different. And here is where the liking thing is a must!. What you liked, I might not, and vice versa. I am not saying that the OLIVE will not provide the quality that your are saying, and probably it would. But believe me when I say, that I had tried many digital gears, and for the first time, I am this happy. As happy, that I just claimed that I am not an audiophile any more. I am just enjoying so many musicians playing for me at my own room. Yes, I have their heart with me. Their feeling,the nuances of the music, the transparency, the air between instruments, the image, the right size of the instruments, the right timbre, the huge sound-stage. I have all. Of course you can tell which recording is better than another, but the truth is: I do trust my ears and liking. I could be wrong for you, or I could be right too. As my experience, the sound is always a matter of liking. Right now, I have over 6000 cds recorded in my hard discs... a joy and and a jewel to use. With my Mac Mini, I can access any song or work right away! Itunes works fine too. Audirvana makes me to have any recording at a frequency sampled at 16bit/44.1KHz converted up to 24bit/192Kz. This does not mean that it sound better, but you can manage to get the right up-sampling frequency that your ear likes for a particular recording. I will check out the Olive 6HD. Thanks again! Happy listening.

Hola Roberto! I've been waiting for years now to see your system, and although recently you've posted it up in another thread, it's nice to see it in you very own "Member Systems" sub-forum! Spectacular!! And you got quite a bit of CDs! But tell me, what happened to all your vinyl and your Linn TT? Not a single vinyl record in any of those photos containing hundreds of CDs. Is the M-DAC THAT GOOD!?

Hola Peter... regarding my turntables...I do not want them any more. Why? I spent more time cleaning them, than really enjoying the music. On the other hand, I still have them. Are where I have Martin Logan stock. I still have over 3000 LPs. Still have the Linn LP-12, the Golmund Studio and the Oracle Delphy VII. I know that you are saying that I am a treacherous regarding vinil. But digital is giving to me, all what I need to be happy with the sound. Fast, easy to use, tons of different albums right away, and played very, very nice, at a point that I said to my self. Roberto, if you want to enjoy digital, you must stop to listen analogue. And this is what I am doing. I do not want more expensive cartridges with broken needles. Besides, analogue is not perfect. It mistracks, produce lateral distortion, the record has to be very clean, if you do not want to get dirt, and to listen a whole side of a LP, right at the end, you can see the tip or the needle full of dirt! So, right now, I do not want to spend my time life, cleaning the tips, because the sound is awful.
    Regardding the M-Dac, I think it is that good for the price!. For the first time, I can stand a whole cd with strings. The strings are mellow, with the right timbre. The image, the air between them is different than analogue. You have to learn this kind of sound. It is very different than analogue. The absence of noise, rumble, wow and flutter, Seen a pic of 20KHz at -60dB in my oscilloscope, made me think different. Digital was steady can clear, and this was not possible with any of the turntables...right now, I am learning to listen to digital. I know I am going to be nailed here, but this is now my liking! I do not want to debate who is right or wrong. This is my personal decision and I am truly enjoying my system that much!... when I get to the bodega, I will take pics of my turntables and my records. I have part of them there. Happy listening my dear friends... this is only an old fellow thoughts. No war, peace and love to everybody!

Hola back at you Roberto,
    You got it right with music is all about what makes you feel truthful, real and enjoyable.
    I'll add one aspect of the Olive that I love. That is when we have parties and I pass around the IPad with the Olice app and folks grave to pick their favorite song/album and tell a story when... Music people love brings them out and opens them up... And they're then more receptive to someone else's 'favorite'. Love the music!

Quote Originally Posted by greg2putt View Post
    Hola back at you Roberto,
    You got it right with music is all about what makes you feel truthful, real and enjoyable.
    I'll add one aspect of the Olive that I love. That is when we have parties and I pass around the IPad with the Olice app and folks grave to pick their favorite song/album and tell a story when... Music people love brings them out and opens them up... And they're then more receptive to someone else's 'favorite'. Love the music!
    Hola Greg2putt. You are right!. Music is to me, the nourishment for the Spirit! I am sure that God will restock to us, all the hours that we had dedicated to listen to the music!. My poor ears are now enjoying to the music and the musician(s) that had all their feeling playing the musical instrument(s) or singing. I think that, because I am liking digital this much, my ears are not discerning all the problems that I did complain with digital sound some time before. Right now, I am enjoying digital sound so much, that I decided to take out of my little dedicated to the music room, all the analogue source that I had before. I can live with AIFF audio format. I am not saying that my system is perfect, no sir. I know that the source prior the mic is analogue. My guitars are analogue, and I listen at the end through the speakers, analogue, right? Music is analogue! Yes, but the devices that we use to reproduce analogue, are old, and digital is just a child, but a beautiful child now. There are so many new things in digital, that we never thought they were possible, so many new things will come in the coming years. Again, thank you so much for your recommendation. I am sure, because you are convinced too, the Olive is a good piece to use and its sound is one of the best in the market today. Right now, I am like a kid, playing with new toys. I am learning tricks of how to get the best of the digital collection. I am very happy with the results, and how my system is giving love. My CLXs are now having the KT-120 power tubes (replacing the 6550C) at my ARC power amp, and I am getting more warmer sound, crystal clear highs, with tons of mid-range without glare, liquid and transparent dynamics, and more organic sound over all... yup, I know, I am crazy! Happy listening.

Quote Originally Posted by greg2putt View Post
    Roberto,
    Have you considered getting an Olive 6HD for your CD collection.
    Olive is currently advertising on Audiogon (but not on their website) the 06HD for $3K instead of $5K.

Thanks Bernard. It must be a wonderful machine, but I am very happy with my toys!... again, thanks a lot!. Happy listening!

Default turntables/reberto

that is funny your dumping vinyl and i am going back into it, i am really enjoying it! your right i forgot how it was a pain to clean the record setup the turntable but the sound is just wonderful. i haven't played a cd in weeks. I have hundreds of albums that i never got rid of when cd came into being. I enjoy the quiet background of cd's the ease of being able to listen to the whole performance with out getting up it is great. But i have so many albums that i could not get on cd. when i started back it brought back a lot of wondeful memories of the time when you had guys over to listen to the latest album and bitched when it had only one good song on it. I was in the times when you built your own speakers amps and really enjoyed what you accomplished. It is a shame you have completely dumped vinyl special when you have such outstanding turntables just sitting there collecting dust. Why don't you sell them and use the money for more digital equipment? I respect your opinon and i know you will enjoy what you have. but it is nice to go back to the good old days when audio was not computers, processors but just good old analouge. Oh! some records i play are just as quiet as cd's with more dynamics. go figure. I have friends that feel the same as you about digital sound. they think i'm nuts. I love your system i am jealous! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khenegar View Post
    that is funny your dumping vinyl and i am going back into it, i am really enjoying it! your right i forgot how it was a pain to clean the record setup the turntable but the sound is just wonderful. i haven't played a cd in weeks. I have hundreds of albums that i never got rid of when cd came into being. I enjoy the quiet background of cd's the ease of being able to listen to the whole performance with out getting up it is great. But i have so many albums that i could not get on cd. when i started back it brought back a lot of wondeful memories of the time when you had guys over to listen to the latest album and bitched when it had only one good song on it. I was in the times when you built your own speakers amps and really enjoyed what you accomplished. It is a shame you have completely dumped vinyl special when you have such outstanding turntables just sitting there collecting dust. Why don't you sell them and use the money for more digital equipment? I respect your opinon and i know you will enjoy what you have. but it is nice to go back to the good old days when audio was not computers, processors but just good old analouge. Oh! some records i play are just as quiet as cd's with more dynamics. go figure. I have friends that feel the same as you about digital sound. they think i'm nuts. I love your system i am jealous! thanks
    Hola Khenegar... please understand that when I write that: I do not want to listen any more analogue, it is because I really missed it! I am telling to myself this!!!. I have my records and my turntables. Still have my VPI record cleaning machine 16.5, tools for adjustment the tone-arm/cartridge. But, as I said before, if you want to really enjoy digital, you must stop to listen to analogue. You are doing something good. And I know that there are a lot of great analogue recordings. I do not want to loose my time searching on a turntable a song. I have it right away with my Mac Mini. The sound? Faire enough to enjoy the musician(s), stage, air between instruments, voices without glare, very dynamic sound, and yes, digital still is not perfect. But analogue is not too. On the other hand, this is a bug that I have inside me. Who knows? I might return some day back to vinyl. There is a big fight inside me!. Thanks for your kind words, and great advice. Happy listening!

Hola... can I make a confession? Yesterday, I did play my LP-12 Linn with an Acurus phono stage for MC cartridges. Vinyl is great too! I took it off right away! I can say, vinyl is still, one of the best sources of audio. Wide stage, open and clean sound. This is not April fools. It is the truth!. Happy listening!

Ja ja ja Roberto! Just when you thought you were out... Vinyl has pulled you back in! JK

Hey, I was just thinking...not saying that you are not right, but how can the M-DAC make the CDs you play sound better than what you played the CDs through before, if the CD disc themselves were not recorded at the higher resolution that the M-DAC can play? Or is it just the higher resolution digital files that you say sound better than vinyl?

Peter, I do not know how they do that. I think it is their software, and also you have seven digital filters where you can play with. But, what I do is, I trust my ears. What I am listening, I do like it that much. The sound is different, but not bad at all. First, you do not have any odd noises, skipping needles, lateral distortion, with loud passages, no jumping needle, also, no feedback and no rumble. I have no wow, and no flutter. So, as you can see, analogue is not perfect. When you listen to analogue, you learn to avoid all these things, and enjoy the wonderful sound of analogue. Yes, I know, I just said odd noises, and things that are inherent to analogue, but all these anomalies, you can filter them mentally and choose only the signal. On the other hand, the M-DAC, first for the price, and also for the famous Sabre of 32 bits, makes this unit very powerful. You have the soul of the musician(s) and also have great image. The stage is wide. Bass is robust and deep. The fingering at the guitar is very understandable. The piano never mistrack. I remember myself putting a little coin on top of the head shell, to increase the force to the needle for better tracking in some passages, and there is no wow at all. You do understand both hands without any effort. The strings are mellow and silky. The wind instruments are palpable, and also are projected with tons of energy. Percussion is dynamic and there are effects that you can tell right away. Listen Quality of Silence, by Steve Davis. There, sometimes, Steve plays with his bare hands on drums. Because I had same LP records and CDs, I made a lot of comparisons. Usually I liked better my LPs. Buy also I had being listening analogue for 50 years, and digital only around 10, and was not listening as I am now. Now I do not complaint the digital sound quality as I did before, until got the M-DAC. Digital on these days, is that good. I have the music right away, I do not loose my time cleaning the records, and cleaning the needles. I think I am happy with this quality of sound. And everyday are new approaches, new path for software, and better overall sound. Digital right now is a child of 10 years old. And the child is growing. You can have a lot of fun with a child with this age, and he is learning son fast! I have an 11 year old granddaughter. She is a very smart child. I wish you a very happy analogue listening and of course digital sound too!.