System #460 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rich, it would be a pleasure to have you over so that you can experience first-hand what Martin Logans sound like. :ROFL:

HAHAHA - Touché. If he's not deaf because after listening to Bose for that long, I don't know if I'd still have my hearing :)

HAHAHA - Touché. If he's not deaf because after listening to Bose for that long, I don't know if I'd still have my hearing :)

You should hear them with my Fisher Price turntable, Adam. You wouldn't believe how good they can sound. ;)

Hola. Well, I am back with tubes. Just installed a VTL ST-150, and I am using it in triode mode. The sound is free of glare, totally transparent with a richness that it is the very first time that I have this with my system. The reed at the mouthpiece is more lifelike sound at the clarinet and the sax. Now I am getting more harmonics textures than never before. The stage presentation, is wide and truly deep. Very dynamic, better than my modified VT-100 MKII from Audio Research. Still doing hearing testing with different kinds of instruments. I have not tried yet, the guitar... will do it very soon. Happy listening!

Hi Roberto, I have heard the VTL 150s compared with Levinsons in a a non Logan system and thought the VTLs were awesome. I always wonder how they will be with my Summits as compared to my AR Ref 110. Not easy to audition here

My friend,

I auditioned the VTL ST150. Very musical amplifier. Enjoy the new kid.

And yes, have a wonderful and happy 2014.

Gordon

Thanks my dear friends... I am having problems with the big orchestra info. It is collapsing in image...it shrinks at the crescendos, and the strings becomes strident, which are not at normal listening level...I am going to check the tubes and the bias...will report later on...again,
thanks and with the best for this new year!
Warmest regards to all, from this little piece of Land, Costa Rica,
Roberto.

Sounds like you're hitting the power output limits, Roberto. The VTL ST-150 punches out 75 triode watts into 8 ohms, which is a little more power than my Naquadria Fireblade tube mono blocs which are rated at 50 triode watts p/c into 8 ohms. I have never hit the power output wall with my Montis speakers (but these are semi active).

Just maybe though, with your CLXs, the VTL might be better configured into tetrode mode which = 140 watts p/c. You're not going to lose much in the way of sweetness to the sound, if any at all.

Hola. Yes, you were right!. What was the problem? This baby was totally out of bias adjustment. All tubes in both channels, the bias voltage was between 85mV to 110mV. The VTL Company, the bias adjustment says that you should have between 250mV to 275mV at the test points for each output tube. It took to me 15 minutes to have all the tubes between that VTL specification. Now I understand why the owner of this baby ordered a new power amplifier from C-J. He never use triode mode, because both switches were at tetrode mode. And having it with such low bias, when you wanted power, the unit collapsed. I have a B&K tube tester and I checked all tubes, even the little ones too. All are measuring right and they are still matched at fours. The reading is about the same on each side channel. I let to warm up, playing with easy jazz music, for about half an hour, and did adjust the bias measure with my Fluke 867 GMM tester. What a big difference!!! The CLXs are very easy to drive, but not in the previous condition. Now I do have the orchestra as it should in triode mode. There is not a trace of evidence that the unit is under stress at all. Thanks Edwinr!!!

Hola Chicos. Just wanted to tell you what I had done to my system. I add at the path from the Onkyo Audio and Video Processor, a Sonic Frontiers Line 2 preamplifier. I am doing this, because the signal from my DAC is too dry...also, I was having a very heavy harsh sound coming from the Mac Mini computer. I solved this harsh sound with the new Mirage USB cable from DHLabs. The harsh sound had gone, and now I am listening pristine clear crystal highs..and with this new tubed Sonic Frontiers pre amplifier, I am very happy with the results. Also, did change my speaker cables, using double run of the T-14 DHLabs speaker cable. I am not going the say that my previous Nordost blue heaven speaker cable was singing bad, no, but now I have wider stage at both sides, with much better resolution. My rear power amp had making odd noises from one channel. It is an old McIntosch 2105 that my dad had in his system. I have a Bedini 25-25 class A power amp, and I am going to use it instead the McIntosch. Will report how it did go later on. Happy listening to all¡

Last edited:
Hola Roberto! I used to have a Bedini 25-25 Class A amp many years ago, driving my Quad 57s. Sounded great until I tried an ancient Dynaco ST70 in its place; the Dynaco was very much better.

Hola Roberto! I used to have a Bedini 25-25 Class A amp many years ago, driving my Quad 57s. Sounded great until I tried an ancient Dynaco ST70 in its place; the Dynaco was very much better.

Oh, yes Berbard. Tubes are tubes! I had mine with 6CA5/ EL34. I had the Vanalstine mod. Great sounding amp. But this Bedini is going to drive the rear speakers only. I am doing the exchange tonight. Thanks bro!

Roberto, gorgeous HiFi. enjoy !

I noticed that not one, not two but six light catching Trophies placed on your bookshelf.
If possible could you please inform us in the field of sports or academics or other field earned these accolades. Thanks.

Last edited:
Roberto, gorgeous HiFi. enjoy !

I noticed that not one, not two but six light catching Trophies placed on your bookshelf.
If possible could you please inform us in the field of sports or academics or other field earned these accolades. Thanks.
Hola RAH. I was lucky to have the Central America 10 Meter Air Pistol Olympic Record at the lates of the 90s and still hold the National Record here in Costa Rica. I do not practice it as I did before, but I still go to the range and shoot a little bit. I love that sport. I also practice Free Pistol, this is .22 LR calibre at 50 Meters, another Olympic shooting style. I have many other trophies around and many medals too. I really was on it. But my heart is with the music. I had a great classical guitar teacher for over 14 years, and still practice a little bit. I had an accident and had surgery at my lower back, so I can not play for too long...only some minutes...but that´s enough for me. So, I started to enjoy the music much and much that I became a serious listener...and here I am, enjoying this sound and this system...it had given me many hours of pure pleasure, because I do not listen the music, I listen the musician(s) playing for me here, in my own room. When I was at college, my dad asked me why I was spending much time with my Spanish classic guitar. He look at me in a way that only a father wants to have a serious conversation...I did not say a word at that time. He came and said: If you think that you are going to pay your invoices playing the guitar, you are going to have a very difficult life and a disaster. Do you know why? Because you are not that good. You can play for us, for your friends, and for yourself...study something than can pay your bills, and play the guitar with your friends. I did study electronics, so, I am a kind of wird person...know what it is happening with the musician(s), know how to fix you an electronic problem with any of your audio or video components, and support my sales with my electronic workshop. I had my back surgery in the 82, and got Martin Logan representation for here in Costa Rica, in the 87. This is a little bit of me...thanks for asking, happy listening!

Many thanks for sharing with us true story of the electronic genius who also won national medals and trophies.

VTL, ARC, Bel Canto, Sonic Frontier, and Martin Logan all make amazing products.

Just like your father, my father was afraid I would be unable to pay bills when I grow up.

until the age of approx. 21 years nearly every day in the evening, 2 hours before sunset used to play modified version, modified to suit number of players and fitness levels and availability of space, cricket or field hockey at the neighborhood sports ground. I always loved listening to music. Initially pop, and rock however over the last six years appreciate orchestral and Jazz Music too.

At sports I was good at the junior high and high school level. I won no awards in sports though. I was also good during this time at painting and sketching. The painting posted in the avatar was created by my sister. My father felt both these areas would cause problems in later life because in Pakistan these fields are minimally financially rewarding. Thus after high school entered the profession of accountancy. Was partially successful in this field due to of a number of reasons. Left accountancy and travelled to Vienna to attend University. Put immense effort in learning and therefore earned good grades. By the end I had a respectable B average.

Small room or large room makes small difference if one obtains little or no satisfaction from music. High end systems and excellent room acoustics help to provide maximum fun from music.

Last edited:
RAH, thanks for sharing us yourself too. Now that we are older, life did teach us the kind and quality our parents were to us. They meant and wanted the best for us. When my younger son, Gustavo, was at College, I did something alike. He was into electronic games...and here in CR, this is a waste of time. You must be too good to keep this profession with good earnings, the designing and building the electronic games. I spoke to him, and he decided to be an electrical engineer. Right now, he is shared partner of Circuito, a Company with great success here and in Latin America. They design and do all the electrical plans for homes, and buildings, Commercial Centers, etc. And he is very happy with what he is doing.

Hi end sound is something that must be learned too. The seek for the perfection, the quality of the design and the quality parts to do it, are from other leagues. Yes, we have impostors, but your ears can tell. There are a lot of snake oil around, because most of the difference regarding the components in the chain of the system, is sometimes very subjective. And because our immediate memory only last less than 20 seconds, testing the goods, your brain could be tricked. You must live with the change for certain period of time, then do the change. This is the only way your brain could understand if what you are doing is right or wrong. Also you must train your ears and trust in them. Also, what I do like, not necessary you have or you must liked too. To be a musician made me possible many of my audio gear decisions, and I have friends that do not like what I do like...the clue is to be happy and pleased with you and your ears.
This hobby is well rewarded. I have a saying: The music is the nourishment for my Spirit and Soul. And now, I am having so much fun listening all kinds of music. I do not matter the type, because out there are many good musician(s) sharing their feelings with us. We can live their performance " Momento " right there, in our own place. And each day, the technology is offering us, better quality products to have that...Martin Logan is a magical product. If you know the trick of how make them to sing along with the music, you will be in heaven, no matter the model that you have. Happy listening!

Last edited:
Hi, Roberto.
Have you tried Audio Research amp with kt-150 tubes? Just my suggestion if everything matches use the audio research amp with kt-150 tubes with sonic frontier preamplifier. Bel Canto and M-Dac very good transport and stand alone digital to analogue converter, respectively.
If possible move your system to the largest room. In my opinion this will make a very big difference to the overall sound. Let your ears be the judge.
Please if possible let us know what you think of the new kt-150 tubes.

Sorry but the transport is ok and the dac is nowhere in the league of what the rest of Roberto's equipment is

Back