System #460 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberto

Reaction score
Name - Roberto

Location - Costa Rica

Speakers - CLX, Stage x, Motion 4

Subwoofer: BF 210 with CLX crossover special filter.

Pre-amp - modded Onkyo PR-886 digital preamplifier processor

Amp - VTL stereo ST-150 .

Source - M-Dac - Mac Mini - Bel Canto CD2 Transport and a Bel Canto Reflink to convert USB to coax. Also an Oppo 103 as DVD Blu Ray player.

Center amp - Perreaux

Rear amplifier - McIntosch MC-2505. And Bedini 25/25

Also have a Harmonic Recovery System for each channel.

Cables: most Nordost Blue Heaven. Also I use DHlabs interconnects for rear channels. For digital cable, I use a DHLabs Mirage USB and D750 silver digital Interconnect

Mechanical ground for amp: Shun Mook U.D.R For DVD and preamplifier: Shun Mook S.D.R.

Room Eq: Shun Mook Mpingo discs and Spacial Control Octet.

AC line filter: Transparent PowerLink Reference.

I am using right now in my room, the speakers are, the CLXs, the Stage X for center, and for rear Motion 4. As a Pre-amplifier, I am using an Onkyo with the power supply modified, and also as a digital HT processor. For Stereo only, I use an AudioLab M-DAC, with a Mac Mini via USB to a Bel Canto Ulink coax to the DAC. Also have a Harmonic Recovery system for each channel. The main amp is an ARC VT-100 MK II modified at the power supply too. I use Kt-120 as power tubes. For the Stage X , I use a Perreaux and for the rears a McIntosch MC 2505. Cables Nordost blue heaven for main speakers. DH labs for others. Interconnect Nordost blue heaven mostly. TV- Vizio '65 " 3D DVD Blu Ray Player Oppo 103 and Bel Canto CD2 CD transport. Mpingos all over the room, and on top of all my system components.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 3,179
Last edited:
Very nice :guitar:

What is the wood material of your CLX?

Very nice, Roberto. I find your guitar room treatments interesting. Does the system sound different if you swap guitars?

Hola Bernard, regarding my guitars, I had them tuned in different notes. By sympathetic resonance, the music makes them to sing along, and yes, I think this is a nice tweak, because there are notes that still sing in the room, naturally. I am glad you liked!.

MPS, those are Dark Cherry. They look awesome! but, what I do like most, is their quality sound! I do know that there are a lot of great electronic gear that make them to sing better or nicer. But I am very happy with it.

Roberto my friend - so good to see your system up here after so long. Very tasteful and purposeful. Please, if you don't mind, I'd like to see more pictures!

Last edited:
Tim, my room is very small, but I had managed to adjust the volume level of all speakers in such way that you almost listen the rears...just for a little add to the sound when you are listening to the music. For HT is a different set up. For stereo, only front speakers of course.

Attachments

• rear speakers 1.jpg
    rear speakers 1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,911
  • rear speakers 2.jpg
    rear speakers 2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 2,916
Ha ha, I understand. If you want to make the wife happy, I suggest taking the CDs, SACDs, etc. out of the plastic jewel boxes and organize them into book type CD cases. They hold up to 256 CDs per case (4"x12"x10") and will free up 90% - 95% of the space you are currently using to store your media.

Now I can get rid of them. I have being storage them in my hard discs. Now, I do not loose time searching for a cd...just got any music right away, thanks to Itunes and Audirvana. The sound is very good... or perhaps, I am not an audiophile any more...just enjoying the wonderful musician(s) playing the music for me! Happy listening!

Now I can get rid of them. I have being storage them in my hard discs. Now, I do not loose time searching for a cd...just got any music right away, thanks to Itunes and Audirvana. The sound is very good... or perhaps, I am not an audiophile any more...just enjoying the wonderful musician(s) playing the music for me! Happy listening!
Roberto, it must be great to not be an audiophile any more..........but have CLXes! :)

Roberto, it must be great to not be an audiophile any more..........but have CLXes! :)

Well, still like the good sound! But I am not listening to any problem that I might have, I just listen good musician(s) playing for me here, in my own place. I am enjoying more each day my system, and I know for sure, that you are doing the same thing. I wish to all, a very happy listening!

Roberto,
IT looks great and I am sure it sounds wonderful. I know it must be very natural and very revealing.

Best of luck

Jeff

Hola Jeff, time flies, right? I hope you are doing well, and also, enjoying your system too. Thanks for your kind words! Happy listening!

Roberto,
Have you considered getting an Olive 6HD for your CD collection. Speaking from my experience it plays Cd music better than and player and better than any computer system. The Olive is silent and just unwraps the full sound from the source bits. The ability to create playlists and the Internet Radio feature delivers sparking sound from sources such as Linn Rock, Jazz and Classical at 320kbit/s. Live doesn't sound better. Ps, yes I sold my CD collection for nil, but saved space and made the misses happy in the end.

Summit/Stage/DescentI/Fresco I/Jeff Rowland /Olive 6HD

Hola. Thanks for the advise. MMMM, I have to be honest with you Thanks for your recommendation, but I am very happy with my sound quality right now. I just ordered a new Reference Link by Bel Canto. I am doing well with my Mac Mini, and truly I can say, the sound that I am getting now is breath taking. There are a lot of gear that makes your system to sing along with the music. I do understand it. But, many of the gear is a matter of liking, right? I do believe that the sound of particular brand does not means better than other, it just sounds different. And here is where the liking thing is a must!. What you liked, I might not, and vice versa. I am not saying that the OLIVE will not provide the quality that your are saying, and probably it would. But believe me when I say, that I had tried many digital gears, and for the first time, I am this happy. As happy, that I just claimed that I am not an audiophile any more. I am just enjoying so many musicians playing for me at my own room. Yes, I have their heart with me. Their feeling,the nuances of the music, the transparency, the air between instruments, the image, the right size of the instruments, the right timbre, the huge sound-stage. I have all. Of course you can tell which recording is better than another, but the truth is: I do trust my ears and liking. I could be wrong for you, or I could be right too. As my experience, the sound is always a matter of liking. Right now, I have over 6000 cds recorded in my hard discs... a joy and and a jewel to use. With my Mac Mini, I can access any song or work right away! Itunes works fine too. Audirvana makes me to have any recording at a frequency sampled at 16bit/44.1KHz converted up to 24bit/192Kz. This does not mean that it sound better, but you can manage to get the right up-sampling frequency that your ear likes for a particular recording. I will check out the Olive 6HD. Thanks again! Happy listening.

Hola Roberto! I've been waiting for years now to see your system, and although recently you've posted it up in another thread, it's nice to see it in you very own "Member Systems" sub-forum! Spectacular!! And you got quite a bit of CDs! But tell me, what happened to all your vinyl and your Linn TT? Not a single vinyl record in any of those photos containing hundreds of CDs. Is the M-DAC THAT GOOD!? :)

Latest posts

Back