System #460 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your advices, my friends. I can do not do it in a larger room...this is my cave, my place, my chicken house. No women are allow to do the cleaning. Besides, you can't imagine the super sound that I have. The new KT-150 are warmer than the KT-120s. But you know what? I do like the 6550s. These tubes are giving me, in my new VTL, (I do not own the Audio Research anymore) in a triode mode, a detail that I get goose bumps every day!

Kedar, yes, the MDAC is out of my leagues on DACs, but I assure you that it is totally tweaked. The analogue part is discrete, and I had changed some components (capacitors, transistors) and I had made comparisons between this DAC and others. The M DAC has a SABRE chip, that it is a 32bit. I am not going to say that this is the best DAC, but the differences are so tinny, that I am not going to spend a lot of money in a gear that will be obsolete every three months, due to the industrial new discoveries. Digital is changing too fast. And when I am ready for a DAC, with good DSD option, and also to have a good DSD library, that's the path that I will take. In the mean while, I and truly enjoying my system as much as never before. That extra $2000.00 for a DAC, I rather spend it on music. Believe me, it is a very fun system. Delicate at nuances, and a rock when dynamic is present. I am really enjoying my system this much!
Warm regards from Costa Rica!

Last edited:
Gee, I do know what do you meant regarding the Lampizator. I had a chance to listen to it at the dealer in New York. And I am with you on this one too. Of course it is one of the best DACs available on these days...but what about this one: http://exasound.com/e22/Overview.aspx And the pricing it is not bad at all. I have a friend who has it in his system, using all Audio Research gear, and the CLXs with two BF-210 subs. His sound it great too.

Please do not get me wrong. I am just waiting for the right time to do a change...believe me when I say, the M-DAC with the user's change possibilities. There are 7 selectable different digital filters. I use usually 4, depending of the type of the music and the quality of the recording. These filters are: Minimum phase, Slow Rolloff, Optimal Transeint XD, and Optimal Spectrum. Optimal Spectrum is superb when you are listening to a solo instrument. The ambiance and the natural decay of the echoes is breathtaking. So, I am really listening good things through this un-expensive DAC, and I am not going to use the cheap word. I can play through Audirvana, which it is my virtual player, and can do from 44.1KHz/16bit to 88.2, 176.4 and 192KHz/24bit. I can play Hi-rez content with outstanding results. Yes, I know. There are better DACs. But perhaps you have underestimated this one. You must have the latest firmware too.

Thanks again, for your great advices! It is a Honor to be in the ML forum with people like you! Happy listening!

Hi Roberto,

Thanks for your reply.

A recommendation from me. The following album produced in 1965 by Francoise Hardy " The Yeh Yeh Girl in Paris" is very very highly
recommended by me for you. Very musical and mellow, easy on the ears. Available in audio CD form.
Had to buy together 6 albums in one box just to get this album by Francoise Hardy.

Have fun my friend!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have it!!! it was a present from my dad in my later teens, around 17 years old, she has the look of BB, a beautiful woman, and an Angel to listen to...thanks!

Françoise Hardy was one of my favourites when I was a teen, but I don't have that disk. My favourite song by her is "L'Amitié".

Natacha Atlas does a very different version of FH's "Mon Amie La Rose". Check it out on YouTube.

Do you guys have anything by Danielle Licari? Another one I like. She does a lot of scat singing.

Hi Bernard,
My father had a record of “ The yeh yeh girl in Paris” by Francoise Hardy. IMO this album does not age or is evergreen. Other music artist group I listened to on record in the late 70’s and 80’s was ABBA. Misplaced and lost both these records. I did much searching for Francoise Hardy audio CD album. 4 years ago difficult to buy only the above album. I bought a collection or box containing re-mastered six Francoise Hardy Albums. The recording of the audio CDs is superb or very very good. The sound engineers have done excellent work. Out of the 6, the above is outstanding. From the remaining 5, 3 average and 2 good. The recording of all six is super. The record label is Vogue.
Another group and their album IMO stands the test of time is Pink Floyds “ Delicate Sound of Thunder”.
Have fun!

Chicos, Thanks to God and some recording engineers, we have fantastic music to play in our systems. There are so many good recordings available, so we can choose our type of music and use it as our "reference". I use a lot an album named "Quality of Silence" and the main artist is Steve Davis, who is a percussionist. You can see him playing in videos with Lenny Arriale Trio. Also for strings and violin test, I usually use the Complete Violin Concertos by Nicolo Paganini, and the Violin player's name is Salvatore Accardo with the London Philharmonic Orchestra, director Charles Dutoit. No. 43720-2 (Deuche Grammophon). The young Salvatore Accardo, excels his performance, making one of the best violin recordings ever made. The reproduction of these recording concerts will not cause any ear fatigue through any model of ML speaker. For rock or electronic stage music, Pink Floyd and Dire Straits are the ones that I usually use. Cantate Domino (Proprius Recording No PRSACD 7762) Track No. 8, Traditional Rejoice , you bride of Christ. Here, usually any dynamic tweeter brakes. ML shines here.
Again, thank you so much for sharing with me your testing music. I know that Bernard likes female latina´s voice...Happy listening!

Roberto, if you like Cantate Domino you should get Reference Recordings' " Star of Wonder". It's an amazing recording of Christmas music.

Pink Floyd is not for me as I don't listen to rock. Can't stand the electric guitar and deliberate distortion. Just listen to "Silencio" on Buena Vista Social Club; it's great until Ry Cooder comes in with his contribution on electric guitar.

And yes, I do like the voices of Latinas. You should get Laura Fygi's "Latin Touch" on XRCD; a superb recording.

BTW, sorry for hijacking your system thread.

Not a problem, my dear friend...great recommendations. Regarding Ray Cooder trying to play with the Cuban guys, really did something horrible in my opinion. I hate when he tries to get along with the Cuban rhythm. He lacks the latino feeling and he is out of the harmony and off of key. My impression is that he put the money to rescue all these great , lost in the time, musician(s) and because he put the money, he must perform with them. With all respect, to play with those Cuban guys, you must be a Cuban, otherwise you do an awful job. He is emulating a Hawaii electric guitar, a Pacific style, and not a Caribbean style. It´s like adding honey bees to a fish ceviche.

I prefer the way the Mr. David Gilmore plays the electric guitar in Pink Floyd Band, even using a distortion and the voices of Pink Floyd, a master achievement...the drummer plays the cymbals not like a rock player, where usually the sound of the cymbals are like a cow bell, he makes them to sound like a jazz player cymbals. The recording of the Dark Side of the Moon, has been a reference recording too. Perhaps not all the songs, but are sound effects and stage presentation, very well done.

Same thing for Santana. The distortion effect for the guitar, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, it´s a type of sound. And started to be used more with the Beatles. The super session album, where Steve Stills plays the wha-wha effect with some distortion circa 1967 on the song Season of the Witch, it is a master piece where this guitar effect is played with perfection.

Most of the jazz guitar player uses distortion. You have a knob at the device, where you can adjust the amount of the effect. Lee Ritenoir, Chuck Loeb, Larry Carlton, Linsey Buckingham, and many many jazz guitar players use this kind of effect. Yes, music it is a matter of liking. What I do like, not necessary you must like it.

Again, thank you for sharing your beloved albums. Just ordered Laura Fygi´s Latin Touch. Happy listening!

Last edited:
I don't like Floyd, but no acoustic guitarist can hold a candle to Hendrix, Page, or Clapton

I don't like Floyd, but no acoustic guitarist can hold a candle to Hendrix, Page, or Clapton
Carlos Montoya, Manitas de Plata, Liona Boyd, Roberto Herrera,.....

Different type of music. Different strokes....

Last edited:
Roberto, " It´s like adding honey bees to a fish ceviche." really had me chuckling. An apt analogy.

Carlos Montoya, Manitas de Plata, Liona Boyd, Roberto Herrera,.....

Different type of music. Different strokes....

That´s what all the music is about. Liking! And Thanks To God, we have a huge quantity of super great musicians all over the world!

Hola Kedar...as I am always saying, you can not force me to like what you like or vice versa. Hendrix, Steve Ray Vaughan, Jimmy Page, David Gilmore, Prince, B.B. King, Clapton, Harrison, Steve Lukater, etc...great electric rock guitar players. How about Jim Hall, George Benson, Romero Lumbambo, Herb Hellis, Laurindo Almeida, Anthony Wilson, John Pizarelli, Kenny Burrel, Alexander Lagoya, Al Dimiola, Pat Metheny, Joe Pass, and many, many more great guitarists in jazz. We hare blessed to have such great musicians playing for us, anytime! Just think about their names, go to the ITunes, and there you have them...happy listening!

005.jpg This is an updated pic of how I have my system now. The VTL ST-150 is set in triode mode. I just did some internal changes at the VTL, changed some resistors and capacitors (Total 16 caps and 8 resistors). I am very happy with the results! Happy listening!

View attachment 17517 This is an updated pic of how I have my system now. The VTL ST-150 is set in triode mode. I just did some internal changes at the VTL, changed some resistors and capacitors (Total 16 caps and 8 resistors). I am very happy with the results! Happy listening!

Hi Roberto,
The reason, of course, to get better sound quality. Did you buy your Vacuum Tube Logic power amp second hand? And because of depreciation felt the need to replace 16 capacitors and 8 resistors.

About 3 years ago I had my Sony F808ES refurbished. I paid approx. $200. Had my amplifier transported from Karachi to excellent repair center in Islamabad and back. I do not have the details of the repair with me now. However like in your case a large number of capacitors were replaced and other components were replaced.

I some times wish I had the ability to fix or improve my electronics like you. Would add to the useful life of my system.

My CLS have serial numbers 8812014-15. Manufactured in December 1988. Never had them repaired. In summers they sound not so good but in winters from middle of October to middle of March still sound good. They always surprise me by their resiliency. Recently, got my Denon amplifier repaired in Karachi. They did a super job.

These days my system comprises Marantz source, Denon amp, CLS loudspeakers and now no longer made acoustic research Master series interconnects and speaker cable.

Just some information about my system.

Have fun my friend!

Last edited by a moderator:
The CLS are one of a kind speakers. I owned them for over 26 years. I had all the models and ended with the CLSIIz. They love tube amps. Try to get one, you will be in heaven. On the other hand, take some inexpensive construction cement blocks, put a table wood on top of them, to rise your CLS about 10 inches from the floor. Or better, you could make a stand for them, the easy way...not a furniture, unless you want it. You have to experiment the new placement. Also, lay then on their back...in other words, their front feet, unscrew each foot about five turns. Make with the aid of a marker, a little dot on each foot, so you can count the turns. Only at the front. The back foot should be totally screwed. This position will tilt the speaker a little bit to its back. Listen carefully the size of the instruments, and the stage. Also, do not angle them too much inwards. This is good for the old panels. Some members like it, others do not. You can PM if you want and I could answer all your questions regarding them. I missed them a lot.

Also, regarding the power amp...no, it is just a tweak using better components. Quality components makes to sing better any device. That's the reason why I did change the caps and the resistors. I am using metal film resistors, high quality caps. Happy listening!

Back