Graphene - future ESL material

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like there are finally some great materials sciences innovations that might translate into future higher-performance ESL transducers.

As described in this article, an initial headset prototype using a Graphene diaphragm delivered pretty good results without even trying to engineer anything more than a basic small diameter ESL transducer.
http://www.extremetech.com/electron...e-earphones-and-unsurprisingly-theyre-awesome

I fully expect that in a few years, much larger size transducers can be engineered to deliver even higher levels of performance. Specifically, handle longer throws to reach lower into the mid-bass.

But it also points to opportunities for high-quality, yet lower cost ESL headsets as well.

graphene-earphone-diaphragm-640x353.jpg

Interesting! However, given it's extremely low mass, I would think a Summit or CLX-sized panel would need many more "spars" to keep it from hitting the stators (unless air itself is a sufficient impediment as the article implies). Sure hope ML is keeping their eyes on this new technology! I wonder how easy (and cost-effective) it is to manufacture Graphene?

This is interesting. I am currently studying toward my physics degree and one of my professors specializes in this field. I am going to bring this to him and see what he thinks.

For those that want more meat, please read the downloadable PDF from this location:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1303.2391

Great discussion of ESL speaker applications.

BTW- to our friends at ML, the paper includes details on fabrication, so get cracking ;-)

met with a vendor at CES, all date in hands of PD department. Our current coating is proving very reliable, but in our quest, who knows? i bring all such leads to the developmet boys.

Good to hear Peter. I know these things take time and sometimes don't pan out. I remember eons ago when Gayle was still there, ML looked into Hypersonic Sound transducer tech, but nothing ever came of that (for many reasons, most to do with physics).

But I fully expect this graphene based diaphragm thing to get some real legs and at a minimum for small transducers, see true market entry sometime in the next few years.

BTW- you missed a perfect opportunity to 'punk' the board with an April fools 'announcement' of a new Graphene based ESL speaker :devil:
Go ahead and put that on your calendar for next year ;)

I'm baffled as to why graphene would allow bigger excursions TBH. Anyone know why it might/would?

Kapton in an Apogee Duetta sized driver allows +/- 5-6 millimetres, I established the other day. It Is more pull than push, though, but unsure by how much.

I'm thinking it is stronger than ESL forces that allow that, though, more than the material. Mylar as used by Maggies probably gives very similar excursions.

No Bernard, phase inversion won't alter the faact that the magnets are on one side of the bass panel membrane.

Some push/pull planar magnetic speakers have been made: http://leonardospeakers.com/ls/azienda/.

The trouble is they cost $65K, use 50KG of magnets per speaker, and the bass diaphragm is half covered by magnets on the listener side. Whilst this design gets the efficiency up to 93DB, I bet off-axis bass response is weird.

Never heard a pair though - they might be awesome but it solving one compromise they have created others! Then again, EVERYTHING is compromised. Choose your poison!:)

Meanwhile, back to graphene...:D

damn, i missed a chance to punk! see how seriously i take my involvement on the site? seriously, all info is back with PD. Yes, that NXT thing didn't pan out is a slight understatement.

Interesting! However, given it's extremely low mass, I would think a Summit or CLX-sized panel would need many more "spars" to keep it from hitting the stators (unless air itself is a sufficient impediment as the article implies). Sure hope ML is keeping their eyes on this new technology! I wonder how easy (and cost-effective) it is to manufacture Graphene?

While it's true that a longer throw or excursion will enable the panel to reach lower, it may also be true that new technologies will enable even smaller panels to be used in ML's new breed of hybrids...

Back