Monolith IIIs and Krell KAV-500?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't heard them with that amp but I am pretty certain that is going to be a much better. The 1095 is a really good amp for the money, but the Krell is in another level altogether

Krell KAV-500i and ML

I have the Krell KAV 500i integrated amp and the ML SL3's and it's a match made in heaven. The Krell has plenty of power to energize my speakers and fill the room with sound. If you haven't already buy the Krell.

Are you referring to the 2/5 channel version of the Krell power amp??

Regardless, the reviews seem to be very good. The Rotel is no slouch either in the review department. But for me the Krell would be someway ahead just for the fact that it appears to offer fully balanced operation rather than the quasi balanced operation of the Rotel. Plus Krell's build quality and parts selection is way ahead of Rotel's.

I've owned numerous Rotel amps over the years. They have all offered good sound for the money. But ultimately when compared to better amps, the Rotels have sounded a bit 'glassy' and soft in the bass.

It would be interesting to hear the Krell and Rotel side by side on the Monoliths. I would imagine the Krell would be able to handle the low impedance dips of the electrostatic panels better than most other amps on the market. This should = better sound!

If looking at Krell-class gear, you should definitely consider a Sanders ESL amp. While Krells are nice, and as other indicate, work well with the MartinLogans, I believe there's nothing like using an amp that is purpose designed for ESL duties.

I run a Sanders ESL amp on my Monolith panels now and boy was that a significant step up from the Sunfires I had been using. Those are no slouch either, but the authority and control the Sanders has over the panel, especially in the upper bass to midrange is amazing.

Please give them a try, they even offer free 30-day in-home trials. But be forewarned, you will not return it ;)

I would go with the Krell - you will never look back! I run all Krell amplification in my system (had Sunfire before) as well as Krell surround sound processor (S-1200 U). Love it!

I agree with Jonfo, Sanders ESL IMHO is the best choice.
I love Krell amps, I've owned Kav500, Tas and Ksa80, but i prefer the sound of Sanders on ML

Owned the kav500 using all five channels with 4 cls & 1 theater. If you have the five channel version and use only two channels, the toroid is not taxed at all and there seems to be more headroom. In addition, once you put aftermarket fuses on the two boards you are using, such as hifi tuning fuses, you will notice a big difference in the presence part of the soundstage. Try using the xlr too.

Back