Hello from Austria ! (with Bass problem...)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebird

Reaction score
Hi to all of you ML-Owners.

My name is Josef and I am a long time reader, now member of this forum.

Here's my system:

My System.jpg

(ML-Spires / ARC Pre LS26 and CD7 / VPI-Scoutmaster and Denon DL57 / Linn Akurate-DS/ EAR 834 Phono-Pre/ Bryston 7B-Monos)

I am quite happy with it, but I am fighting against low frequency-modes in a difficult room. When moving the speakers, bass gets better, but overall performance decreases...
Sadly one can not move the ML bass-units indenpendent from the panels.;)

So I am thinking of integrating 1 or 2 subwoofers.
I will also use some EQ-System for the subs (antimode).
Do you have some recommendations which subs works well together with the Spires ?

I would appreciate your opinions !

Thanks

Josef

Hi to all of you ML-Owners.

My name is Josef and I am a long time reader, now member of this forum.

Here's my system:

View attachment 16153

(ML-Spires / ARC Pre LS26 and CD7 / VPI-Scoutmaster and Denon DL57 / Linn Akurate-DS/ EAR 834 Phono-Pre/ Bryston 7B-Monos)

I am quite happy with it, but I am fighting against low frequency-modes in a difficult room. When moving the speakers, bass gets better, but overall performance decreases...
Sadly one can not move the ML bass-units indenpendent from the panels.;)

So I am thinking of integrating 1 or 2 subwoofers.
I will also use some EQ-System for the subs (antimode).
Do you have some recommendations which subs works well together with the Spires ?

I would appreciate your opinions !

Thanks

Josef

Hi there - nice to see your system when you join!

Good luck with your bass problem. I'm sure you'll find lots of useful assistance here! As for subs that work well, there are many - but they do need to be fast and tight. I use a Whise, but REL, KEF, and of course ML's own line are also great.

The best thing you can do with a sub is control it with something like a Behringer or Velodyne SMS1, so you're on the right track.

But regardless of that - some more treatment in your room might go a long way to assist? A larger rug for a start - at least between the Spires and your listening seat.

By the way - where in Austria are you? I love the place! Get down to the Musikverein some time and hear some real bass!

Last edited:
Josef,

Oftentimes, bass issues are caused by component vibration. The other suspect is your Spire x-over setting.

Adjusting the second is easy.

What vibration control devices do you have under your speakers and other equipment?

GG

Hi Gordon,

thanks for your reply.

1.) x-over = crossover ? Do you mean the crossover frequency between Panel and LF-Speaker ? How can I adjust this frequency on the Spires ? The only adjustment on the Spire I know is the 35Hz-gain (+/-10dB) on the back.

2.) Vibration control: I have tried the original rubber-feet, then the ML-Spikes directly on the floor (tiles); then spikes on wood. Now I am using "SSC" Spring-Suspension-Cups underneath the spikes.

Using the SSC-Cups helped a lot in reducing vibration of the speakers. Of course vibration is still present depending on the music.

You know for sure "Pink Floyd / Dark side of the moon" the 1st track ("Speak to me") starts with the famous "heart-beats". Bass and vibration in this specific sequence is so strong, the speaker is almost "jumping" and moving by itselve. One can hardly hold the speaker down....
Of course this behaviour resulting in blurred, uncontoured bass in that moment. Remarkably this effect is stronger on vinyl than on the CD-version.

Josef

Back