Vacuuming Requests, a few basic questions.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a few questions that I am sure most here can answer, please.

My Martin Logan Requests (new panels as of 2 weeks ago) can only attract dust when they are plugged in, is this correct? I mean if unplugged they will gather dust but way way less than if plugged in?

And unplugging them from the wall/ AC outlet is the way to shut them off?

Any special way to vacuum the panels? (I know they have to be off for 4 or 5 hours to discharge before doing so). Is a real strong suction vacuum a good idea? Might it damage the panels? Can i use a brush attachment? Or might the bristles scuff the panel surface like surface scuffs on an LP?

When I say strong vacuum I mean just that. As an electrician, knowing all about air movement/cfm. The exhaust fan over my stove is so strong it actually lifts the oven off the ground. (kidding). Just making the point about a real powerful vacuum is all.

Important to do the back of panel as well yes?

I have a Saviar 5000 "electrostatic" air cleaner within 15 feet of the Requests. It moves/cleans 450 cfm on high speed. I know this is not a problem, it the negative ion emitter a danger to the Requests?

Any tips answers about this are much appreciated.

thanks

Joe

Last edited:
Just a few questions that I am sure most here can answer, please.

My Martin Logan Requests (new panels as of 2 weeks ago) can only attract dust when they are plugged in, is this correct? I mean if unplugged they will gather dust but way way less than if plugged in?

Yes

And unplugging them from the wall/ AC outlet is the way to shut them off?

Yes, autosensing system also shuts down high voltage circuits when no signal is detected.

Any special way to vacuum the panels? (I know they have to be off for 4 or 5 hours to discharge before doing so). Is a real strong suction vacuum a good idea? Might it damage the panels? Can i use a brush attachment? Or might the bristles scuff the panel surface like surface scuffs on an LP?

Gentle brushing shouldn't be a problem but if you want to absolutely sure avoid direct contact to foil. Having speakers off overnight prior to vacuuming recommended. Panels can handle normal domestic vacuum cleaners, common sense recommended. ;)

When I say strong vacuum I mean just that. As an electrician, knowing all about air movement/cfm. The exhaust fan over my stove is so strong it actually lifts the oven off the ground. (kidding). Just making the point about a real powerful vacuum is all.

Important to do the back of panel as well yes?

Yes, equally important both sides.

I have a Saviar 5000 air cleaner within 15 feet of the Requests. It moves/cleans 450 cfm on high speed. I know this is not a problem, it the negative ion emitter a danger to the Requests?

Never heard this could be a problem, however I would aim strong airflow away from speaker.

Any tips answers about this are much appreciated.

thanks

Joe

You are welcome :cool:

Vacuum Cleaning!

Agree with all that has been stated ... I vacuum the Panels almost every other week. Have used both the "soft brush" attachment and just the regular wand/crevasse attachment. The actual panels are very durable, there use to be information at Martin Logan about the strength of the panels.

Very early models from Martin Logan, did not have an auto-shut off. {my first pair of Sequels required the AC cords to be "pulled" from outlets to be "off."}

I know it feels somewhat odd to vacuum the panels, but it's a good thing. Don't go crazy with an industrial / heavy duty machine. A typical home vacuum cleaner i.e.: Sears Kenmore... does the trick. Additionally, my particular vacuum cleaner has a suction control that allows me to adjust the strength/amount.

The only down side to home HiFi is the amount of dust + lint that is collected on the components.

Go Forth and Clean!

Its not the dust thats a problem for electrostaticic speakers really, its the dirt, grease etc. The dust will come off when you play music, but the residue from polution, fire places, smoke etc etc will stick like glue and cannot be vacuumed away. Its a good idea to wash the panels every year or so, depending on your environment. If you take a paper towel and wipe the inside of your window, how does that look? Will the paper get black?

Back