Help with Vantage panel distortion

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audemars

Reaction score
Hello - I'm hoping one of you might be able to guess of my issue ..

Preface, both of my Vantages have been problem free, and kept in a low-dust, clean air environment. A Krell FBI, paired w/the Oppo 105 serve as the source.

Unfortunately during a recent listening session, both panels developed "distortion", easily detected even at low volume. All indicator lights appear to function correctly, and the woofers seem ok. I've rotated out different sources, to be certain the issue is isolated to the Vatages. SO, based on a cursory search, panels normally "go bad" over time, and likely not at the same time. I'm wondering/hoping the symptom points to an interior component (crossover?) vs. costly faulty panels.

Many thanks for any help! I will reach out to ML on Monday.

Have you vacuumed vigorously?

Given both speakers have same issues the problem could be before your speakers.

Joel

Last edited:
Have you vacuumed vigorously?

Given both speakers have same issues the Problem could be before your speakers.

Joel

Appreciate the response. Yes, I've vacuumed. As mentioned, both Vantages connected to a completely separate system produce the same result.

Hola. Just guessing here... it looks to me a power amplifier issue. Do you have another power amp? Or, to borrow from a friend? Both speakers at the same time, the only common factor is your amp and the power supply of the amp, because both channels are getting the voltage from this power supply. Sometimes the failure at the power supply is a regulator + or -. Ii hope this might help! Happy listening!

Hola. Just guessing here... it looks to me a power amplifier issue. Do you have another power amp? Or, to borrow from a friend? Both speakers at the same time, the only common factor is your amp and the power supply of the amp, because both channels are getting the voltage from this power supply. Sometimes the failure at the power supply is a regulator + or -. Ii hope this might help! Happy listening!

Yes, I've moved the Vantages to a completely separate system (Arcam avr600), yielding same distortion.

Could it be a rattle? Can you describe the distortion? Does it change when you push against the ESL or frame?

Could it be a rattle? Can you describe the distortion? Does it change when you push against the ESL or frame?

Hi, Tosh. The sound is dostorted/raspy, spanning the entire length of the panels, and does not change with pressure to either the front or back. Pianos, vocals, etc are especially irritating. I might add, the frame tension rods are tight and none of the black composite spanners are cracked - so definitely not a rattle.

I removed both back amp plates earlier, hoping to find an obviously fried component .. everything appeared normal, but I did notice 2 of the small yellow squares with black numbering atop appeared "smeared" on both speakers. They are located on the circuit board which ties directly to the panel leads.

Thanks again for any/all advice!

audemars,
You're describing excactly the same problem that I used to have with my Summits. Fix is easy and simple and cost $113 times 2 and is called Power Supply boards (apparently Summit and Vantage ahve the same boards). All foulty PS boards I've dealt with looked fine and had no visible sign of something being fried.
When you call ML service they will probably diagnose defective PS boards.

audemars,
You're describing excactly the same problem that I used to have with my Summits. Fix is easy and simple and cost $113 times 2 and is called Power Supply boards (apparently Summit and Vantage ahve the same boards). All foulty PS boards I've dealt with looked fine and had no visible sign of something being fried.
When you call ML service they will probably diagnose defective PS boards.

Perfect - exactly what I was hoping for - many, many thanks for chiming in!

I'll update this thread once resolved with ML service.

Seems to be a problem somewhere... I have a friend with a 25 year old set of huge ML's and he's not had any problems. Hope I didn't jinx him.....

Last edited:
New PSUs ordered and en route, hopefully not delayed by the snow.

Dealt w/Scott in service - friendly, very helpful.

Power supplies in both speakers failing at the same time?

Unlikely unless something caused them to fail simultaneously.

GG

PS Possible scenario. Krell or outside power sent a transient that caused the failure, confirmed by the Arcam.

Do you have a PLC?

Last edited:
Power supplies in both speakers failing at the same time?

Unlikely unless something caused them to fail simultaneously.

GG

PS Possible scenario. Krell or outside power sent a transient that caused the failure, confirmed by the Arcam.

Do you have a PLC?

Honored to've your input, Gordon - and pardon the distraction of a direct response, as I'm currently enjoying a fresh set of PSUs (arrived next day). Extremely happy with sound, and most important, the service from both Scott and the MLO crew.

Many thanks to all!!

Back