ML Newbie

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haff

Reaction score
Another Canadian Newbie...

Finally pulled the trigger - picking up a pair of Electomotion ESLs tomorrow (shivering with excitement!).

Over the years, have squandred (what is to me) a small fortune in audio eqiopment - after many iterations now my HT duties are performed by Klipsch La Scala's and Heresy's, driven my Rotel separates and ably supported by a REL subwoofer, all in the basement.

Our large family room is adorned by what has been my main stereo listening bundle of joy for some time: Paradigm Studio 100s, driven by a Bryston 4BST and infused life with a Counterpoint SA-5000.

My problem is I never get to listen to music. Music to me is not a team sport and the family room has been taken over by teenagers. I will reclaim my rightful place in my own home as soon as they go to college - but for now I need an alternative (plus speaker lust has been bugging me for years).

So I am left with no choice but to fill what I have long viewed as a vaccum in our living room. This is a very small room and is generally used for entertaining friends (which is not very often, so there is a logical need to use that room for other purposes).

I started with looking for bookshelf speakers and audtioned some truly remarkable ones. But the one thing I had never had in my home, and always yearned for was planars. I've always worshipped Maggies from afar - but there's no way the wife would've let them in there. So I went out and started listening to MLs seriously (I used to listen to a pair of Quad's my friend's dad had way back when and still have very memories of the magic they made).

I hope MLs will blend in a bit better in the room - no speaker is truly wife friendly, but this one might come close.

The most logical move (given room size/decor limitations) seemed to be Purity or Source - but I'm late to the game. Best I could find was a pair of Purity's (new) for $1,800 at Audioadvisor, but bringing them to Canada would've been a chore. After weeks of hunting, finally nailed down a sweet deal on EM ESLs (actually less than what the Purity would've cost) and I've closed it.

I have a Rotel RB-1070 lying around which I will use with these for now. I will be checking out a Parasound P3 pre-amp (demo) at the ML dealer, which seems like a good deal - if not, Ill probably pick up a nice used tube prea-amp (I suspect the Rotel/ML combo may be too bright and little bit of tube coloration may help).

Last edited:
Back