Looking for link to a fix...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thegainster

Reaction score
... a link to show me how to check if the 3 solder connections are good on one of my Logan's.

Thanks...

Last edited:
Which speakers you have? If its the older models with the wood rails you take a rubber hammer and gently tap the rail up a bit on the side where you see the little cover behind the stator on the bass enclosure, when you have tapped the rail up a bit you will see the wires that attach to the stator.
If the speaker is working they are probably fine.

Just tug on the wires gently one at a time. If a solder connection is not good the wire will come loose.

Which speakers you have? If its the older models with the wood rails you take a rubber hammer and gently tap the rail up a bit on the side where you see the little cover behind the stator on the bass enclosure, when you have tapped the rail up a bit you will see the wires that attach to the stator.
If the speaker is working they are probably fine.

Vista's
The panel has sound but dull and lifeless. Just the one side.

I put a cd in and put my ear against the panel. I slowly went from top to bottom with my ear against the panel and found that there was no sound on most but not all of the panel. A area of about 7" had sound, dull but some sound. Odd to me. Seems it would either work or not.
I'm in contact with ML but no resolution yet. I'm thinking of buying a pair of B&W CM8's after repairing the Vista's as the upkeep of ML's is getting to me. But, after getting the panel situation resolved the magic of the ML's and my Mac will more than likely win me over again.

Last edited:
Did you check the wires?
You can probably also measure on the pluss and minus wire to see if they get charge.
Maybe I am to used to the vibrant clear sound from ML, I went to listen to a relatively expensive B&W speaker some time ago, huge disappointment, tiny tiny soundfield, closed in and lifeless.

Last edited:
Did you check the wires?
You can probably also measure on the pluss and minus wire to see if they get charge.
Maybe I am to used to the vibrant clear sound from ML, I went to listen to a relatively expensive B&W speaker some time ago, huge disappointment, tiny tiny soundfield, closed in and lifeless.

I'm gonna try that today. Kinda nervous bout taking it that far apart...

Did you check the wires?

And thank you for your help and time...

Look at the link I gave you, post 4 where he puts the speaker on the table. There you see the wires and if you leave the panel as shown on the picture you should be able to measure on the wires with a multimeter where the are attached to the speaker itself. You dont have to totally remove the panel I think, like the author wrote it can be very tricky putting it back together again if you remove the rails and everything.
If you measure no voltage (ML probably told you how many volts there should be there) then its inside the bass enclosure you have a problem.
Just proceed slow, and you will be okay.

Last edited:
Look at the link I gave you, post 4 where he puts the speaker on the table. There you see the wires and if you leave the panel as shown on the picture you should be able to measure on the wires with a multimeter where the are attached to the speaker itself. You dont have to totally remove the panel I think, like the author wrote it can be very tricky putting it back together again if you remove the rails and everything.
If you measure no voltage (ML probably told you how many volts there should be there) then its inside the bass enclosure you have a problem.
Just proceed slow, and you will be okay.

Ok.... I swapped airframes... Problem followed panel. I disassembled the problem child and all connections are solid. ML is aware and I believe they are going to help. The store I bought them from is tring to help also. Frustrating... No easy fix with a ML!

Somehow you should try sweet talking them into giving you a matched pair of panels, rather than a single replacement...

I personally would like my panels to at least be the same age, or my imagination would drive me crazy.

I really don't know what to do. I have a guy in Atlanta that is DYING to buy my Vista's but I won't have but $2400-$2500 to buy something else. :confused: What would I buy better than my Vista's used for that money?

I really don't know what to do. I have a guy in Atlanta that is DYING to buy my Vista's but I won't have but $2400-$2500 to buy something else. :confused: What would I buy better than my Vista's used for that money?

Don't be confused....it is obvious! He is "DYING" to buy your Vistas because there is nothing better for that sort of money. Of course he is. If you could get something better for $2400-$2500, don't you think he'd be buying that something else? Tell him to get stuffed - and you won't take less than $4500 for them :)

Easy: Ascent i (must be 'i'). Ascent i is the best ever ML combo: Largish 12x48 clear-spear ESL plus low xo point sealed box 10 inch Aluminum cone woofer. So really just an SL3 with a sturdy cabinet mostly.

Back