Martin Logan ElectroMotion vs Clarity/Source

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I asked politely if there is a real difference between "Martin Logan electromotion" than Clarity or Source or 3 projects are basically the same?

What is in your opinion, however, the model more successful and why?

Sorry for my bad English.

cordially
Michele Rossini

Welcome, don't worry about your English, it's certianly better than my Italian....hell it's probably better than my English !

Hi Dave,

thank for you encouragement..!!!!
In this forum you are all so kind, I hope to have valuable advice for my doubts about the choice for ML models ....

King Regards

Michele Rossini

Hello and welcome

The electromotion is hands down the clear winner when put up against the Source. The clarity are nice and have a tweeter but still no match for the electromotions large panel

Hello
thanks for the welcome.

You could make direct comparisons between the 3 models?
I currently have only listened to the electromotion and the other 2 models have gone out production on the Italian market, so I can not make any type of comparison.

I see the limit on the ML EM and can not be bi-amplified... but since the my listening room is 16 m2 can not choose higher models such as Vista or Theos: so I have to reach a compromise.

King Regards
Michele Rossini

Last edited:
Returning on the speakers that I have heard that the ML Electromotion, I noticed the panel, unlike other models, is older than the current has an inclination of around 15 degrees if I'm not mistaken. Choosing the design of ML.

I asked kindly if someone help me understand why this choice, seeing that the previous entry level the Source or Clarity or the "old but fantastic" Aerius have the right panel.

For no other reason, be using the panel straight I noticed to be the prerogative of other discharges such as Audiostatic, the Sanders, and KIng Sound. Then come to my attention this peculiarity of electormotion.

I therefore ask you to kind friends forumers the question: do you know to help me understand this diversity in the design of new electromotion?

King Regards
Michele Rossini

Last edited:
Hola Mr. Rossini. The panel that the Electromotions have, is the newest design. If you make a comparison, you will find the the holes of the panel are smaller than the old ones. This makes that the diaphragm is exposed to the air about 40% more than old technology. Also, with the feet at the bottom of the speakers, you can change the angle of dispersion for precise adjustment of your listening position. The panel is more lean back because of the audio dispersion pattern that exhibits the new panel. Also, the frame is made of aluminium, not wood, and will not resonate at some frequencies, as the wooden frame did in the older models. Overall, the Electromotions have more dynamics, better dispersion control, less frequency resonances, more precise and sharp sound, and more extension at high frequencies. I do like a lot all the products of ML, and the Electromotions are a to my ears, the winner. Happy listening!

Hola Mr. Rossini. The panel that the Electromotions have, is the newest design. If you make a comparison, you will find the the holes of the panel are smaller than the old ones. This makes that the diaphragm is exposed to the air about 40% more than old technology. Also, with the feet at the bottom of the speakers, you can change the angle of dispersion for precise adjustment of your listening position. The panel is more lean back because of the audio dispersion pattern that exhibits the new panel. Also, the frame is made of aluminium, not wood, and will not resonate at some frequencies, as the wooden frame did in the older models. Overall, the Electromotions have more dynamics, better dispersion control, less frequency resonances, more precise and sharp sound, and more extension at high frequencies. I do like a lot all the products of ML, and the Electromotions are a to my ears, the winner. Happy listening!

Hello Roberto,
I may be in agreement on the characteristics of the panel. My doubt is the inclination of the panel, I can not understand the philosophy of Electromotion on this aspect. When designing a speaker makes sense to tilt the panel if the speaker is 60 or 70 cm. But Electromotion are 130 cm high and then tilting the panel the issue of the high frequencies are not addressed to the ears of the 'listener but toward the ceiling of the listening room, in fact loses directionality with the risk of losing the vertical dimension of the' issue sound.
It 's my view wrong or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.
King Regards
Michele Rossini

Hola. Just listen to them first, and tell us your findings. The new models have this inclination towards their back... Your ears will tell you why they have the panel tilted. Happy listening!

Last edited:
to add to Roberto's considerable experience, knowledge, we tilt the smaller panels back a bit so that at typical listening distances, (10 ft or so) both sitting and standing will have your head inside the line source's dispersion area. with the larger Summits, Montis, we make the feet modular so the panels can be oriented in a more vertical plane, but the line is longer so less an issue. The EM ESL has a much longer line than the old Source, Purity, which are very prone to some getting out of the listening area. EMs also so have some adjustemnt range in the feet, but the angle is well reseached, proven out for the given price point, size of the speaker. Like Roberto repeatedly says to all, let your ears tell you what you need to know.

Back