New Member with Brand New REQUESTS,,,,,,,,,,I have a few questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been fortunate with the budget I have to put together a fairly good stereo.

Requests with brand new panels, brand new woofers and about $800 worth of MIT caps, Cardas wiring and binding posts etc.

I have an Alchemist Tim Di Paravicini pre amp (separate power supply) , a Huyuan CD player, and a Krell KSA 250. Turntable coming once I amass a vinyl collection again.

My questions are as follows.

1 - I have not been able on the net to come up with a solid answer as to a burn in period. Anyone have any experience or information on this subject?

2 - Should I be concerned if via light reflections can see the panels moving?

3 - I have always had a decent stereo and I am familiar with the warning signs that either an amp is running out of power or a speaker is being over driven. When my new woofers and panels arrived, before having my tech guy come to do the panel/woofer swap, knowing that if I blew something up I was about to change everything anyways, I decided to see how loud the Requests would go before any damage occurred. I turned them up pretty loud, nothing out of hand, but I could not get the amp to clip or the panels to make any sound that would indicate to me that something was about to happen to damage the speakers. Needless to say I was impressed. Keep in mind I am in a loftish 2 level condo so the speakers are essentially firing into a space equivalent to 40 ft x 40 ft x 8 ft so it is a pretty big space. Are there warning size with panels, or do they at some point simply fry and turn to dust ( I am kidding of course about the dust).

Any information on these matters will be much appreciated.

thanks

Joe

Last edited:
Welcome to the nuthouse, Joe. Very nice speakers!

Turntable coming once I amass a vinyl collection again.
Isn't that putting the cart before the horse?

2 - Should I be concerned if via light reflections can see the panels moving?
No
3 - Are there warning size with panels, or do they at some point simply fry and turn to dust ( I am kidding of course about the dust).
Your ears will turn to dust before the panels do :)

Bernard thank you for taking the time to reply.

Isn't that putting the cart before the horse?

It would be horribly painful to have a nice turntable and nothing to play on it. I couldn't do it Bernard. Used to do vinyl on eBay,,over 2200 feedbacks,,I know how to amass a collection relatively fast at not a great expense. So I do appreciate your comment but once i have a whack of LPs in good shape, all genres, Ill then get a table/arm/cartridge.

So I guess its ok if the panels are actually moving,,,,,as long as they are not bursting through the perforated front and back frames, lol.

Nice to hear the panels wont turn to dust,,,,,,,,,,,but I am sure like conventional woofers tweeters at some point I will hear a sign that they are being over driven.

I appreciate the welcome to the nut house.

thanks again for your time

P.S. At your name is says senior member. Your one of the higher ups in the ML Kingdom? Watching over the surfs?

I'm only a senior member because of the number of posts; no other reason. I just don't know when to stop posting.

And no, I don't watch over the smurfs! We are all watched over by Tom (the owner of this site) and his gunslingers Tim and Dave (quite likable characters). Tim (MiTT) and Dave (twich54) are serious vinyl heads.

When you're ready to buy a turntable we'll be more than pleased to help you part with your money.

Hi Joe... Welcome aboard and congrats on your purchase.. reQuests are AWESOME (I had a pair for several years) and your Krell should be a perfect match, but don't think it has enough oomph to overdrive them. You absolutely will see the mylar moving on the speakers if you look close.. Turn up the volume and you'll see it moving more. Nothing to worry about..

Keep them from coming in contact with direct sunlight if you can.. Humidity and smoke will shorten their lifespan. Vaccuum them regularly to keep them as dust-free as you can. They will be good for many many years to come.. I had Sequels for 17 years and they still sounded great.

Lots of knowledge here on the site, including Bernard, who has loads of experience. :)

Not sure about your decision to get back into vinyl, though... We may want to have you see a shrink.. ;-) DIGITAL ALL THE WAY!! LOL

Thought you might be royalty or something. I had said surfs not smurfs by the way, same thing different color.

Im big on vinyl, I think. At least thats what Ill say to Tim and Dave. Brownie points and all. Don't let on though.

How nice, someone who is actually willing to help me part with my money, so rare in the audio biz!

Nice of you to reply Bernard.

Latest posts

Back