Dead SL3 Panel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a panel in a SL3 that won't sing. Woofer works though. I had a bad connection that sent loud pops and cracks through the speaker on day, and it hasn't worked since.

I removed the back cover and discovered a PCB. Sure this had to be the problem, I checked all the diodes on it, and replaced the op-amp chip for good measure, but the problem remains.

If anyone out there has any ideas, please reply. Not having my system to listen to is killing me!

That popping noise seems to be the dreaded swans song for ML panels that you heard. If you replace one panel then the other one is in order too so just to be sure try swapping the panels and get back to us here and we can see what options you have for a replacement. We have some nifty DIY guys here who are experts on replacing the panels without paying half your pension to the greedy share holders at ML who prey on legacy owners

Hola. It looks that you have electronic skills. What I would do, is swap the power supplies. This will tell if you have a power supply failure. If the same speaker is failing, then could be a solder joint of the wires at the stat panel. The black wire at the back or the blue wire at the front. Check that these joints are not loose or making a faulty contact. To make sure to find why the panel is not working swap the panels. If it is the power supply, check for an open resistor, the 5 resistors 15M ohms that are connected in series, from the red wire (bias, high voltage wire) from the panel connected to the PSU Board. Also could be the transformer at the power supply. Check continuity between the coils of the transformer. Happy listening!

Holy crap! I hope this isn't the case. What actually happens to the panel to cause it to fail?

Thanks for the help, everyone. In addition to your great ideas, I just read a thread about the panels slipping down through the rails, putting strain on the wires and solder joints, eventually causing a break. My panels have slipped more than an inch, so this is definitely a possibility.

It's fixed, and Bernard is the grand prize winner! The wire going to the front stator was broke due to pulling caused by the panel slipping down over time. I want to thank everyone for their great ideas - you showed me the different paths that could lead to resolution. :music:

Latest posts

Back