My SUMMITS went bananas today!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hola... enjoy your system again. It is great to know that the power supplies were the culprit. Happy listening!

If BOTH power supplies went out, it must have been either a power surge, or something funky with your amp(s). I'd be concerned about something like that happening again.

If BOTH power supplies went out, it must have been either a power surge, or something funky with your amp(s). I'd be concerned about something like that happening again.

I'm concerned about this happening again and already took precautionary steps: APC LE1200 Line-R 1200VA Automatic Voltage Regulator. As of my amps, the only think I could check is DC offset and everything is fine there (negligible values). All my equipment is connected to mains through Furman Surge Protector.

So, now I have all up and running fine and here are my findings and comments from the speakers surgery:
_DSC4252.jpg
Pics represents PS boards from my Summits. The one to the left was taken out from speaker exhibiting more pronounced distortion problem. Nothing looks fried. The one to the right taken out from less distorting, healthier sounding speaker. However this "better" PS board had mini bridge rectifier separated and rattling at the bottom of woofer chamber :).

How could this happen? I don't know! Lousy soldering? or else....?

Another thing I've noticed is extra magnet on bottom woofer: can somebody explain what is it? Only bottom woofer has it.
photo.jpg

Back