G'day from Sydney

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john alan hunter

Reaction score
I'll try to attach a photo of my ML setup. I'm sure that it will be a museum piece to some -original Aerius i plus cinema centre. I purchased the set when they had just been released and they have been doing sterling service ever since. On my third set of panels.
However it is time for a change and I would like some advice please.

We are moving and I was busily planning a music/theatre room 20' by 14' to incorporate a 10'wide screen. This would give my new Theos plenty of air to breath being about 2' from side walls. The Aerius would go to back suround.

Unfortunately, we have fallen in love with an existing property which will not accomodate such an extention and now I am looking at having to adapt a room 16'by
10'. I will drop the screen to about 8'wide but my front speakers will be right in the corners.
I positioned the Aerius to get the best from it.I can't now and there seems no point in upgrading to the Theos.However the Motion 40 seems to have no problems in a corner so should that be the solution? E bay my present set up and go Motion 40s for the fronts-20 for centre and FX2's for the surounds?

Hi from the Gold Coast.....(originally from Sydney though - Hornsby area). Welcome, and I'm sure you'll find lots of info here!

Motion 40s for mains and a Motion 20 for a center? That sounds wonderful ! I have a pair of 40s and an LX16 ( last year's equivalent of the Motion 15 ) for a center channel and they present a seamless and dynamic soundstage for my current 3.1 setup ... I can only imagine a Motion 20 sounding even better ... nice : )
And BTW, what a beautiful design the folks at ML have come up with - the Motion series 15s, 20s, 40s, and 30 look fantastic!
The FX2s appear to be a fine choice for the surrounds ... With a dispersion of 160 degrees, they should compliment the front three speakers nicely.
While the Motion 40s do have a couple of capable 6.5" woofers, I'd recommend a subwoofer to complete the package, unless the lowest part of the sound spectrum isn't that critical for you. My dynamo 700 sounds great and is highly recommended.

It seems you've made a fine choice in assembling a surround system for your music/theater room ... Enjoy !

Thanks for that Tom. Do you have yours in a corner set up? I do have a Dynamo 700 in my current set up.Am trying to get a picture up!
Heard the M 10'S for the first time over the weekend and very impresssed. A very crisp sound if I had to catgorise it. Couldn't listen to my choice of sacd's though but will take the Oppo with me next time. Can make a better decision then.
Also heard the Electro Motion ESL (2013's Aerius) and disappointed. May be how they were set up. Again will try them later.

Hey John ... well one of my Motion 40s (L) is pretty much in a corner ... I have very little space between it and the wall, and maybe a foot or so of open space behind it ... it doesn't seem to hinder the sound in anyway as far as I can tell ... then again, it's in the same spot as my Bose 701 was ... difference between the 701s and my new Motion 40s is night and day :)
Looking forward to viewing the pictures of your music/theater room when available ... I'll try and upload some of mine ... have a good day.

sys_1.jpg
Hopefully this will be a picture of my set up-well the front!
Good heavens-it worked!

Back