Montis

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinr

Reaction score
I owned the original Summit some years ago. These were unfortunately sold. Some time later the Summits were 'replaced' with a pair of Theos. The Theos weren't Summits, but for the price they offered much of the Martin Logan electrostatic magic without the stunning bass weight I was used to.

As some will know, my Theos speakers were damaged recently, and I was looking for a replacement. I choose the Ethos, which was edging towards the capabilities of my original Summits. Recent discussions on this forum about the new Montis encouraged me to audition these speakers before I handed over my hard earned dollars. The proviso was; I couldn't afford the Montis even if I really liked them.

After the audition, all thoughts of buying the Ethos vanished. I won't go into details about my audition. What's the point? When you hear a truly superior loud speaker... I now knew I was going to be in serious financial trouble.

The hardest decision was not whether I could afford to buy them, but what color I wanted them in. I am extremely conservative in my color and fashion choices. Normally I would have chosen black or some kind of dark wood. I thought I would 'extend' myself, so I bought the zebra wood finish. They arrived at my home a few days ago.

Sound Quality:

These are the very best loud speakers I have ever heard in my home. Full stop.

Build Quality/Finish

Build quality is flawless and the finish is stunning. The pics below do not do this speaker justice.

Recommendation:

Buy them.

Attachments

• IMG_2109.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,234
  • IMG_2095.jpg
    IMG_2095.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,204
  • IMG_2110.jpg
    IMG_2110.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 2,006
  • IMG_2111.jpg
    IMG_2111.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 2,386
  • IMG_2105.jpg
    IMG_2105.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1,068
no argument, considering I own Spire's. I have yet to listen to speakers at or near their respective price point that competes.

I have the Montis. Tweaking them has been a pleasure . After breakin, and find the best place for them, play first with angle, then vertical tilt.

Of course the process will continue. Room treatment , and the process all over again.

Joel

Last edited:
I'm holding out for that same DSP technology to be incorporated into a Summit X replacement! :D

Those really look great!

I'm in a similar situation. Can't decide between Black or Zebrawood

Last edited:
yes, the zebrawood was calling my name as well. It was a tough decision, but I placed my order for the Montis today. I ended up going with the dark cherry...

Hola. It looks that I was short when I recommended these speakers. Please tell us about the bass. Also the effortless sound overall. I am so glad that you liked them as I do!. I am selling them here very well, and everybody is very happy with their sound quality and the built quality too. I am going to quote myself..."Montis belong to other leagues. It plays the music, effortless and the bass is awesome!. To my ears, Montis is one of the best Martin Logan product so far"... Happy listening my friend!

Thanks, Roberto. It's partially your fault! :bowdown:

The bass is unbelievable. The transition between the panel and the bass module is seamless - they speak as one. And the speaker digs very deep. I will not be using a subwoofer.

Thanks everyone else for your good wishes. I cannot begin to tell you how hard it was to get into these speakers. It took a very, very special listening experience to persuade me to take the plunge. I think it's unfair to compare these speakers with the Summit or Summit X. The Montis is a very different animal indeed. Some may prefer the bass slam of the Summits. Others may prefer the delicacy, refinement and extension of the Montis. Either way, you can't lose.

The Montis is way more easy to drive than the Theos. Even the Denon 3313 is making them boogie. First impression is that a very nice 30 to 40 watt tube amplifier will do the job in my room. 50 to 60 watts perhaps even better. A tech friend is nearly finished rebuilding a pair of triode tube monoblocs for me. I can't wait to hear the Montis driven by these amplifiers.

P.S. The striations of the zebra wood is accentuated by the camera flash and is way less pronounced in the flesh. The zebra wood is quite similar to flame teak in appearance.

Last edited:
First impression is that a very nice 30 to 40 watt tube amplifier will do the job in my room. 50 to 60 watts perhaps even better.

Ed, keep in mind, if you think 30-40 watts will provide what your looking for a 50-60 watt amplifier will not provide enough additional power to hear a difference. Remember dbl'ing power = 3db gain.

IMO, unless your room is quite small I think 30-40 watts is on the low side, regardless, unless the amp possess superb bandwidth expect the upper freq to be rolled off.

Hola. When I made faults like that, makes me feel right and dizzy. Thanks Ed. I truly think that you made the right choice!. I always had said that you must trust your ears for any decision and follow your liking, besides of what others might like. A good thing that starting with the model Ethos, is the use of a digital power amp built in to drive the woofer. The crossover at the input of the speakers takes the low frequency info, but this circuit (crossover) only loads the system amplifier to drive the stat panel. So, your power amp only use its power to drive the stat panel, and we know that the low frequency sucks a lot of power. Because the system amp is not driving the bass, its power becomes more dynamic, precise, wider stage, more transparent, super clear highs, and the harmonic texture becomes more evident. The size of the string instrument(s) and the percussion instruments are real! The human voice is free of cold and flu. Usually we find voices at the recordings, with flu and grainy. These speaker are free of all that. They exhibit a very articulated sound and it is an experience to listen to the music with this kind of detail. I really think you made a bid forward step! The wooden cabinet is beautiful, Congratulations Ed!!! Happy listening.

Great pictures and posting. I have to say if I was looking at hybrid I would be looking at is the Montis, I think you have made a great choice.

Back