25 year Magnepan owner thinking about taking the ML plunge, from Columbus, OH

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z06_Pilot

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Greetings from Columbus, OH.....

It's time to replace my 15 year-old 3.5r's. I was pretty much sold on their 3.7's, but became intrigued by the ML ESL's. The one issue I have always had with my Maggie's is getting my off-board sub to blend seamlessly with the lower range of the panel.

Could just be my skills, but no amount of sub relocation and pre/pro manipulation ever quite got it right for me.

I started reading a lot about the Montis and Ethos with their on-board, powered subs. The Montis in particular seems to have gotten this transition down to a science, BUT at a cost that is twice the 3.7's....must start searching under the couch cushions.

I have an opportunity to audition the Montis with my own power amp(Anthem MCA 30) and listening material, but not the Ethos...

Shortly I may be posting as an ML owner!

Jeff

ZO6, welcome aboard !......from a lowly 'GS' pilot ! .....anyways, remember the 'bass drivers' on the Logan Hybrid line of speakers are not 'subs', given the fact they cross-over anywhere from 2-300 hz range, way beyond that of a 'sub woofer'.

Myself, owner of a three year old pair of Spire's can tell you that the modern M/L hybrid is light years better in terms of panel / dynamic cone integration that earlier models.....the reason that I too was a longtime Maggie fan.

FWIW, I use a Velodyne DD-15 along with my Spire's and couldn't be happier with the seamless integration

Good Luck with you journey !

Ah, thanks Dave for the correction!

"sub" was a terrible and incorrect term to describe the bass drivers! An awfully dopey way to introduce myself to the ML community!

I am going today to audition the Montis.....

I'm really surprised the 3.7 only hits 35-40Hz.

Getting a restored pair of Apogees will cure your bass integration issues. I sold my Descent as I found it unnecessary. Duetta Sig/Diva/Scintilla will do it, the last option ONLY if you have serious, serious power available.

As an ML owner for 20 years, you could do worse than some of the better ML hybrids, IMHO.

Just another option if a restorer is an option you could consider. You will probably never achieve better integration with low bass than not using conflicting/different driver technology. All you really need is a properly built pair of planar magnetics.

Unfortunately Magnepan do not build their speakers as well as they could. They are flimsy at best, and use magnet arrays that do not provide sufficient field strength/uniformity of coverage and the structural rigidity to do the job properly. But then again they are built to a lower than required budget for the technology. That said, given the large overheads of a reasonably sized company they have to do what they have to do.

Just an opinion with a substantial basis in fact.

Having had maggies in the past, and now the owner of 3.7's for about 6 months you really have to shake your head and reconsider the maggies. I have bought a descent i sub and am currently trying to mesh the two, but i would never give up the clarity and poise of the maggie's mid and upper range. Just can't be beat, and I have considered ML and even wilson sophia 3's (not bad, but not $10k better).

Having had maggies in the past, and now the owner of 3.7's for about 6 months you really have to shake your head and reconsider the maggies. I have bought a descent i sub and am currently trying to mesh the two, but i would never give up the clarity and poise of the maggie's mid and upper range. Just can't be beat, and I have considered ML and even wilson sophia 3's (not bad, but not $10k better).

Well, too late, I ordered the Montis about a week ago. The seamless transition of the panel to the woofer is just phenomenal-it's intoxicating. I listened to the 3.7's with my amp, and they are truly remakable...a big step up from my 3.5r's for sure...but the speed and dynamics of the Montis really got me, and their imaging is impressive...

Good decision. Build quality aside, I like the 3.7's, but it's worth the extra money for the Montis. It would be a tougher choice if you were choosing between the Ethos and the 3.7's.

Good decision. Build quality aside, I like the 3.7's, but it's worth the extra money for the Montis. It would be a tougher choice if you were choosing between the Ethos and the 3.7's.

Thanks.....but wow, when i think about how much these things cost, it's a little scary. I'm lucky that the dealer gave me a discount off MSRP, is taking my 3.5r's in trade, and I am buying them in Delaware where there is no sales tax(it's a 7 hour drive each way, but worth it!)......helps tame the sticker shock somewhat....

I remember when the Spires came out at alower price than the Summits. Many people found them better than Summits. Wonder how the Montis stack up against a pair of Summit X...

Anyway, congrat's on your speakers. I think you will be amazed at how for ML have come with woofer/panel integration. IMHO, they do it a lot more seamless (on my Vantages) than most dynamic speakers manage mid/bass integration (let alone most manufacturers horrible attempts at woofer/port integration - huff, puff and a whole lot'a boom).

Latest posts

Back