Yamaha RX-A1010 Upgrade

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InterMechanico

Reaction score
Good morning, Folks. I have a query regarding the above mentioned AVR. I'd like to semi-integrate my Vistas and Yamaha A-S2000 into the H/T setup. I am so thoroughly tired of switching speaker cables that I've stopped bothering and have moth-balled the H/T Setup.

I have an opportunity on a Demo RX-A1010 in As New condition with full warranty for $699.00 ($675.00 USD).
I want the ability to run all my Video sources through AVR to eliminate excessive Fiddling Around when using the LapTop, etc. This AVR also has Front Channel PreOut Ability, so the plan is to run the front preout through the Main Direct on the A-S2000. This, in theory, would leave me with more capacity to run the the rest of the surround system, which is, admittedly, pretty basic right now, but I intend to upgrade little by little.

A note: I watch movies occasionally and at lower volume, and H/T is definitely not my priority, but right now, the H/T is largely unhooked and I'd like it to work. I also have an aversion to buying junky gear, so I figure that the RX-A1010 is a good compromise between quality and price, considering how I'll be using it.

Questions: 1) Is $699.00 a good deal, or am I buying stale-dated technology?
2) Will running the front channels through the A-S2000 be seamless and simple, or am I just setting myself up for more fiddling about?
3) If only having to power the center channel and rears (5.1 is it for me), will the RX-A1010 be sufficient to drive an M/L Stage center (planned) and 2 M/L EFX Rears? (110 watts into 8 ohms/ probably 180ish watts into 4 ohms (2ch driven))

Thanks A BUNCH!

Julian

The deal on the AVR is good and you will be fine on the power of the config of using the stage and 2 rears as the 2 fronts use about 61% of an AVR's power. I don't think though that it will be seamless up front because you will notice the diff sonic characteristics when panning L/C/R on a movie so thats why its always a good idea to have a 3ch amp with an avr

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll give it a try and see if it's tolerable or not. I'll be picking up the receiver tomorrow morning. I suppose that if it's very "off" sounding, I'd be inclined to go with a 3 channel p/a like you've suggested, but then I'll be back to switching cables again.lol. I love the A-S2000 and can't see a situation where I don't use it for 2 channel listening. By "sonic characteristics", do you mean timing/delay, or jittery sound when panning side to side? I wonder if there is a way to compensate for that? The setup function on the AVR apparently has a small microphone that is placed in the seating area, but I imagine it only sets the output levels, not the timing. I'll update this thread when it's all hooked up. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back