Descent 10" Subwoofer Speaker Installation Revealed...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Please let me begin by simply stating The Martin Logan Customer Service Department is outstanding. You just call them and they help / assist immediately, which is really great support for our wonderful Martin Logan audio gear. :)

I must say the removal and installation of the Descent 10" subwoofer went really pretty easily.

1). Unplug the Descent. Position so as to have plenty of room to work on the speaker.

2). Remove the speaker grill.

3). Remove all eight speaker machine screws with and Allen wrench.

4). It is best if you have two people, one to grab hold of the speaker when the other person removes the last screw, as the Descent 10" subwoofer speaker is quite heavy ~ 12.7 (US) pounds in weight.

5). Try to keep the speaker gasket in place as best you can.

6). Remove the two sets of slid-on speaker wires (four wires total), two from the right side (Pos and Neg) and two from the left side (Pos and Neg) of the speaker. Take care to identify which wire is the positive wire plugged into the speaker terminal marked with the red dot at the base of the speaker terminal - this will be important later.

7). Remove the old speaker and place it to the side.

8). Install the new 10" subwoofer speaker. Position the speaker near the opening and connect the two sets of slid-on speaker wires (Pos and Neg). Please make sure that on each side only the positive wire connects to the speaker terminal with the red dot indicated at the base of each side speaker terminal.

9). Position the speaker gasket in place. I used a very light touch of Elmer's glue in several places as the gasket was slipping out of place. The slight amount of glue held the gasket. We then seated the speaker in place and installed all eight screws.

10). Plug in your Descent and test with your favorite max bass music or movie. I tested my Descent with Emerson Lake and Palmer's album Brian Salad Surgery and then the most dynamic scene in Gladiator Russell Crowe in the Coliseum fighting chariots of the emperor. My Descent is repaired and works as good as new. Thanks again to Dana Brown at Martin Logan for all his help and assistance and my son as well. :clap:

:cool:The following photos show the sequence of the repair and replacement of my Descent's left side 10" subwoofer speaker;

Attachments

• DSC01172.jpg
    DSC01172.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC01173.jpg
    DSC01173.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC01175.jpg
    DSC01175.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC01176.jpg
    DSC01176.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC01178.jpg
    DSC01178.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 279
More Photos of the Descent 10" Subwoofer speaker - Removal / Installation...

:cool:Please see these additional Photos of my Descent 10" subwoofer speaker - Removal and Installation;

Attachments

• DSC01180.jpg
    DSC01180.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC01182.jpg
    DSC01182.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC01186.jpg
    DSC01186.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC01187.jpg
    DSC01187.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 274
Good Job Robin!
thanks for the pics of the process.

whenever i have to disassemble something electrical with more than 3 wires i take a quick picture of where the wires go for future reference when reassembling. helps a lot.

anyone need a picture of the inside of a 1990 Volvo 245 dashboard ?
:D

Back