Need advice to fix dead Aerius panel in SF Bay Area...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal_s

Reaction score
My trusty Aerius died on me after many years of pure enjoyment. The sound output from the right panel started dropping out intermittently, and then a few days back went completely silent. I tried all the different combinations of diagnostics to rule out the amp channels, speaker cables and interconnects.I even tried vacuum cleaning as suggested here, but of avail. It all points to just one thing: the panel is conclusively dead. I have read with some trepidation the description of showering the panel clean, and it seems a bit of a chore in addition to a risky experiment. I would hate to destroy the panels for what might be a simpler electrical problem. Are there any experienced service centers in the SF Bay Area who could help? Willing to drive with a 50 mile radius of Stanford. I am also reluctant to ship one speaker to Kansas and have it serviced, as the freight might be prohibitive and also I would have a different set of panels which might affect the overall sound quality. Thanks in advance for any help!
---Kal

Cant help you personally, but I think you need two new panels for your speakers.
Washing the panels is very easy although it can test your nerves the first time. For instance, when you have the speaker on its back with railings off, be careful not to lift the panel at the top end only, lift it rather from the side slowly and carefully, it wont crack then.
Changing panels is very easy. See the washing pdf on this side.

Thanks Nielsen! Is there any quick diagnostic test to run so I can confirm further the panels are not electrically impaired in some way? I'd hate to go through all the bother of disassembly wash & dry and then find out it was actually something else ...

Kal,
Before showering the panels double check the connector and solder/wire connection to the panel itself. A number of members here have had the wire/solder fail or the connector loosen up on various models. This may require some dis-assembly to get the connector and wires. If I'm not mistaken, the wires/connector should be at the back of the panel near top of woofer box. It may be pushed down out a little out of sight (at least that is were my old SL3's connectors were at). You may have to re-solder the wire to the panel.

The other thing you will want to do is call Martin Logan for diagnostic help. If an internal power supply/transformer has failed, they will be able to talk you through identifying what is possibly wrong. Replacement panels are now so expensive that I would make 100% sure that your issue is a dead panel before ordering.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
ML can probably tell you how to proceed finding the culprit. I just want to talk you through the procedure of removing the panel if you are up for it. Dont wash the panels, if its completely dead I think the chance of reviving it is slim.
When you have the speaker on its back in a couch or something like that, use a rubber hammer to gently loosen the rails, tap gently below and the railing comes loose and can be removed. Then, looking down behind the panel at the woofer box you will se a lid fastened with 4 screws. You will also see three wires coming from the panel going into this panel. (This is how it is on my Aeon I, i assume its the same on the Aerius.)
With the railings off you will see that the panel itself is resting on a piece of black rubber that runs the entire length, gently pry loose the panel at the OPPOSITE site of where the wires are. when you feel the panel are free from the rubber use two hands to lift the panel carefully up while it still rests on the opposite rubber. Get someone to hold the panel in this position, now you can open the panel, inside you will find a connector for the wires, unscrew these three connectors, take the wire carefully out and now you can lift the panel off the speaker.
If you do this with both speakers you can then put the healthy panel in the faulty speaker, if it works then the problem is in the panel of the faulty speaker of course. If it doesnt then the problem is in the electronics in the crossover (test it with panel and the wires in place, just resting on the rubber, dont put the railings back on or move speaker)
You can send me a message if there is anything I can help you with.

Hola. With all respect, I think you have a high voltage power supply failure. Before you do anything with the panels, exchange the power supply boards from one speaker to the other. Usually is a bad transformer, the voltage multiplier circuit or a bad 15M resistors, easy to find these resistors, usually are 5, connected is series, and are the ones that at the PC Board, at the red wire connector, just follow the strip of foil, and you find the first resistor. Better. contact Martin Logan service department. They will guide you to track the problem with easy to follow instructions. Happy listening!

It turned out to be a loosened solder joint on the front stator. My 25W iron wasn't hot enough to make a permanent reliable solder joint, so we're tracking down a larger iron. But they are playing for now...

I recommend for owners of these early models with the knock-off trim/mounting rails to inspect (and reposition if necessary) the ESL panels to ensure there is no strain on the wires and solder joints. As the rubber strips that the panel and woofer grill rest on deteriorate and shrink with age, the panel is more likely to slip downward. ML's free anti-slip clips may help. While it is apart, tighten the screws which hold the receiving clips for the mounting rails.

Back