Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Balanced Force 210 and 212 subs!

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    ....I suggest you go with these 3-driver units for a more accurate sub and better standing wave cancellation.
    Assuming "standing waves" = room modes, I can't see that the change from three-sided to dual-opposed will have any effect, positive or negative. We can make no comparison re: "accuracy" until we've seen measurements, but the PBK included with the new subs should improve accuracy in most setups.

I'm pretty open with placement and do enjoy the look of the Depth i more than the new subs... also if one has XT32 will PBK make any difference?

Only thing I'm concerned about is the built-in EQ and extra output

^^^ If you only are going to have one sub, and already have XT32, probably not much advantage to using yet another EQ system in line. So any current model will be fine.

Now, if you are going to use three or four subs, then being able to individually tune them to their locations using PBK, then later running XT32 on top of all four running concurrently will yield optimal results.

As for extra output, you can get that as well as better room integration by using two (or more) subs.
    Jonathan

System #45 (Monolith IIIx, Sequell IIb, SL3XC)

Quote Originally Posted by RUR View Post
    Assuming "standing waves" = room modes, I can't see that the change from three-sided to dual-opposed will have any effect, positive or negative. We can make no comparison re: "accuracy" until we've seen measurements, but the PBK included with the new subs should improve accuracy in most setups.
    I meant the internal standing waves within the cabinet. Please read the ML brochure which is more eloquent than what I can describe here.

Fear not on the 210/211 and your concern on internal standing waves. the same attention to resonance control of the cabinet and interaction of drives have been given to this design versus the Depth/Descent. we have been at work for 2 years on them and are finally happy with the results. Even thought the depth/descent can't be considered "broken" we have worked hard on what is truly going to be an upgrade. As to close outs on the old, we build mostly to order with minimal backstock although we will see what happens as the new ones come in line late in the summber for September release. of course, lots of things have to happen before that release but it is coming. Jonfo has a good point above which is why we will be selling the PBK as an $99 option. yes, you can use the software on all subs before doing an overall in the room. i will be at the Bay Area show, Newport show with later prototypes if you are all curious. New York was fantastic.

Super User

The manual for PBK says an interface is required. Can you use this with an older Descent I?

J

Not only is an interface needed, but a DSP engine within the subwoofer to store and apply PEQ filters created by the PBK kit. I'd be greatly surprised if the Depth/Descent had this, previously unused capability.

Peter Soderberg: Kudos to you all at ML for making downloadable filters specifically for our individual ML speaker!

Small update I found from the NY show mentioned above by Peter:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/m...gan-experience

Cannot wait for these subs!!

Still waiting for final specs/dimensions on these, especially the 210. I'm planning to go with two (smaller) subs in my room, placed midway on opposite side walls. However, space and WAF will be the rate limiting steps. Does anybody know if ML is demo'ing at T.H.E. Newport Show this weekend?
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expressions 13A. Dual ML BalancedForce 210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's, speaker cable.
    Click here to see my entire sytem. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

Alan, I was there and stopped by the "ML" room in hopes of chatting with Peter, but it was shared space, managed by a couple of guys from another company. I left almost immediately and so didn't even look for the new subs. Sorry about that!

I couldn't be there on Friday due my kids gradutation, but was there noontime Saturday onward.
    I didn't have the subs there as i was helping a new dealer of mine (Pacific Coast AV) so didn't want to go over the top. Montis on some Herron gear that was a nice warm sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Soderberg View Post
    I couldn't be there on Friday due my kids gradutation, but was there noontime Saturday onward.
    Well, darn! I was looking forward to our quasi-annual chat. Catch you @ RMAF.

Sad to say, not doing RMAF do to dealer going small, not pinning a room till too late to get anything i would want. Will be at the Bay Area where i hope to have near product items at, but we will see.

any new information on pricing or availability? I'm thinking of getting one of the 210's with the PBK.