New Balanced Force 210 and 212 subs!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not only is an interface needed, but a DSP engine within the subwoofer to store and apply PEQ filters created by the PBK kit. I'd be greatly surprised if the Depth/Descent had this, previously unused capability.

Peter Soderberg: Kudos to you all at ML for making downloadable filters specifically for our individual ML speaker!

Still waiting for final specs/dimensions on these, especially the 210. I'm planning to go with two (smaller) subs in my room, placed midway on opposite side walls. However, space and WAF will be the rate limiting steps. Does anybody know if ML is demo'ing at T.H.E. Newport Show this weekend?

Alan, I was there and stopped by the "ML" room in hopes of chatting with Peter, but it was shared space, managed by a couple of guys from another company. I left almost immediately and so didn't even look for the new subs. Sorry about that!

I couldn't be there on Friday due my kids gradutation, but was there noontime Saturday onward.
I didn't have the subs there as i was helping a new dealer of mine (Pacific Coast AV) so didn't want to go over the top. Montis on some Herron gear that was a nice warm sound.

Sad to say, not doing RMAF do to dealer going small, not pinning a room till too late to get anything i would want. Will be at the Bay Area where i hope to have near product items at, but we will see.

So the new sups look awesome but is anyone disappointed with the name choice? ML always has such awesome names for their products, but these names are so bland.

Small gripe but I wish they would have come up with some awesome names.

So the new sups look awesome but is anyone disappointed with the name choice? ML always has such awesome names for their products, but these names are so bland.

Small gripe but I wish they would have come up with some awesome names.

Both boring and seemingly a direct rip-off of JL's naming scheme.

Meh I am less concerned with the ripping off more then the lack of spice and whimsy to the names haha. The names Grotto, Depth, and Descent was just awesome. I was hoping for new names along a similar scheme.

I think "Balanced Force" is a cool name. Especially when watching Star Wars:) Makes the following dialog realistic (sort of...):

- What do you use to drive your subs?
- The Force!
- May it be with you!

Both boring and seemingly a direct rip-off of JL's naming scheme.

Ridiculous! The names are perfect, and succinctly describe their design and driver sizes. Much easier to remember than Depth and Descent, which I always got confused!

I also don't see how they could be confused with JL Audio, which is a monopole sub design.

Ridiculous! The names are perfect, and succinctly describe their design and driver sizes. Much easier to remember than Depth and Descent, which I always got confused!

I also don't see how they could be confused with JL Audio, which is a monopole sub design.

F110, F212..... no similarity there?

Will there be a Balance Force 208 or dual 8" sub available in the near future?

[toungeInCheek]
Well, you could buy 2 Dynamo 300's, glue their two tops together, make sure they have the same polarity setting, and voila, balanced force 8" subs. a little long maybe, but same effect ;)
[/toungeInCheek]

Speaking of Dynamo's I just bought 4 of them at $129 from amazon for a second system. I'll be posting more about that soon ...

Last edited:
I already have the Dynamo 700w and want to upgrade. The BF being pre set via thumb drive and tuned using a mic I think would integrate into my electrostats better and give me better quality bass. It's just dual 10's are too much for my neihbors and 10,13 room. I could live with a tripple six inch actually.

Last edited:
No question that room correction in the bass frequencies will make a huge diffrence. Highly recommended.

However, many of the bass frequency problems can also be addressed by using multiple subs to more evenly distribute modes. That's what I plan to do with my 4 sub setup. It will be going into an almost cube shaped room (11x10x9) which is the absolute worst shape for a room, and no amount of EQ can fix that. So a combo of treatments plus 4 subs placed strategically around the room will combat the basic room modes, then Audyssey XT32 room correction will be applied on top of that.

So I generally recommend multiple subs (at least two) as a means to combat room modes, as that is often a more effective way to improve bass than a single "better" sub.

Back