New member intro and problem

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My name is Scott and I am the proud owner of a pair of vintage Sequels. A good friend had them stored for approx 4 years in a house that was used for storage. When he decide to sell the home he had no use for the speakers and offered them to me.
I had them hooked to a Yamaha receiver putting out around 90 watts a channel, initially they sounded very nice. Over the past month the sound has degradation to where I have absolutely No Highs or Mids, only Bass. I read an article about washing the stator, so I did with No success.
Is there a way to check the stator with a meter to see if this is the problem or can anyone help in giving me directions to check the power supply and transformer?
Thanks in advance.
I am buying a new TV and wanted these speakers to be the Audio focal point of the system

Hi Scott, and wellcome to the forum.

It can take several weeks for the panels to dry, so be patient. And keep in mind that they sounded good when you got them, so they will sing again once you unlock their secret!

Can you write a few words about where you have them in relation to windows, how is the humidity, is there salt in the air from the sea, etc.?

If you write a bit more, I am sure there are helpful people on the forum who is far more knowledgeable than me! Also try to give ML Service Dept. a ring, or send them a mail. They really are very helpful.

I did shoot them an email and am patiently awaiting a response. I have them in my living room spaced about 6 feet apart firing towards the seating area. The room is not big to begin with. I used to have a pair of Magneplanar Timpini's the three panel ones, and really loved the mids and highs. They did not have a sub, so that was their shortcoming.
Was hoping to test individual components so I could give the factory guys a little better idea of what I am up against.
I know someone will come to my rescue.
I live in Fortlauderdale, but the humidity right now is low and I am far enough away from the Ocean that salt is not an issue.

Crossover on the sequels

I have my woofers playing full sound and drowning out the panels. How do you check, and replace the crossovers or high pass filters on these speakers?

It sounds like the panels are not powered. The amp can still be able to drive the panels and you can hear sounds coming out of the panels when they get no electricity but they sound weak and dull. Maybe there's something wrong with the internal circuitry and not a panel problem. Just a wild guess.

Back