My ML's sound "muffled" when it rains...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cordovox

Reaction score
Hi,

It's been a while since I've visited the forum for the last time.

I got a question that maybe some of you can answer. I've been noticing that whenever it rains or the weather is more humid, my Ascents, quite loose all the detail, no midrange or treble, practically I hear only bass ( and pretty heavy and undefined).

I was told that humidity on the air can really affect the sound of the electrostatics.

However, my apartment is not humid at all.

Does it really affects the sound?? I guess so, because I don't have this kind of problem with good weather...

Thanks and Season's Greetings to you all...

This is very much in line with my experience. Have a look at my thread on "muffled highs in Vantage". They have just gotten better and better the first couple of weeks I've had them. The only explanation I can find to their poor sound when I got them home, was that the panels had absorbed some humidity from the air during transport, and that it evaporated over a couple of weeks. When I got them hime, they sounded exactly like you describe. Now they sound awesome! I think humidity is very important. Especially if you live close to the sea, so that there might by salt i the air as well. Even if you apartment doesn't seem to be humid, the stats can still absorb humidity. Especially if they are placed near windows so that they might be a bit colder then the surrounding air.

Seasons greeting to you as well!

Humidity affects sound, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are "muffled" in high humidity. More pronounced rolled off highs at the most.

define high humidity, please!
right now I have 32% but sometimes in the summer it gets +- 80%
and I hear no difference in sound associated with humidity levels.

well...., maybe that's just me...

I am no expert but it makes sense. Moisture in the air means weight...so it would have to effect it...how much, I have no idea? I live in the desert. What is humidity, anyway?

This is very much in line with my experience. Have a look at my thread on "muffled highs in Vantage". They have just gotten better and better the first couple of weeks I've had them. The only explanation I can find to their poor sound when I got them home, was that the panels had absorbed some humidity from the air during transport, and that it evaporated over a couple of weeks. When I got them hime, they sounded exactly like you describe. Now they sound awesome! I think humidity is very important. Especially if you live close to the sea, so that there might by salt i the air as well. Even if you apartment doesn't seem to be humid, the stats can still absorb humidity. Especially if they are placed near windows so that they might be a bit colder then the surrounding air.

Seasons greeting to you as well!

Thanks

In fact, one of them is quite close to a large window.

Is there anything I can do to eliminate or reducethis effect?

I have no other solution to move them to any other place in the living room...

@ Amey - Maybe it's rolled off highs, and also mids. Or maybe the bass is so heavy that I don't hear the rest of the frequencies as I normally do.

Thanks a lot

Cheers

Latest posts

Back