New ML Monolith 2 (?) owner....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughV

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I just came into a pair of ML Monoliths, series 2 I believe (MS2AI504/5). They came from an elderly friend, along with a big-A H-K rack mount amp (model # at home), very heavy. My friend's husband passed some years back and she hasn't listened to them in years, although they have been plugged in, in a pretty dusty environment. Some surface mold growing on the wood, especially around the base.

I am an EE, work developing medical laboratory equipment. I have too many hobbies. Electronics (repair/restore everything from old synths, audio equipment, test gear, etc.), audio, cars (10+yr old BMWs), woodworking, etc. I live in MA, metrowest. It is great to join this group.

On the Monoliths, the woofers have new rubber surrounds and work fine. Panels have the correct high voltage from the power supply. The mylar has dirt deposits/maybe even a little mold on them. Seemingly the dirt on the film is in a hole pattern behind the holes in the screens. And, alas, they do not make much for sound. In a couple of small areas on the left side of the panels, there is some sound, but alas, it is difficult to stand back and think that anything but the woofers are making any noise.

Seems as if I am on tap to get new panels :^( if I wish to bring these back to life. :^)

I have spent some time perusing the FAQs and such. I would appreciate any opinions whether cleaning taking a shower with the panels might get them going again? What about the reflow with the conductive dish soap or some kind of antistatic spray? Mine is a busy life, so many hours of screwing around to mediocre results is not what I'm after. Bottom line, is it time for new panels? I take it they are not rebuild-able with new mylar at the factory; seems like the screens are fine.... Seems I have a decision whether I will part with the dough to bring these back to live and ride again!

OK, thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Hugh

Hugh,

Welcome to the group, IMO, given what you have I think the 'shower approach' is at least worth a try prior to purchasing new panels......or save your $$ for what is rumored to be new Monolith's in the near future.

OK, Dave, thanks for the thoughts! Will call ML today to price the new panels, to frame the situation a bit.....
Hugh

Short update: I spoke with the tech/customer service guy at ML (name escapes me) and he recommended that I blow out the panels with compressed air, give them a good vacuuming, etc. I removed (and discarded) the foam pieces behind the panels, too. Hooked them up with a Carver receiver and an equalizer and volia, they work pretty well! I'm very excited about this. Especially since new panels go for $2,600!

I may try the cleaning sometime (since there are clearly spots that are dead across the panels), however they are fine to listen to right now.

Thoughts for replacement for the foam pieces?

Thank you very much to the guy at Martin Logan, his advice was a big help.

Hugh

Last edited:
Back