Old panels now performing as new again

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pneumonic

Reaction score
Just wanted to inform those who have dying panels that Russ Knotts, at Just Real Music, provides a great refurbishing service to get your panels working as new again.

I recently bought another pair of CLSes which had the panels re-coated by Russ and I have been putting them through their paces and I am happy to report that they sound splendid.

I took a quick shot of them while in test mode.

Attachments

• CLSes in Office.jpg
    CLSes in Office.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,433
Last edited:
Glad to hear you were able to have them repaired. Did he only recoat them or was the Mylar replaced also. If you don't mind telling us, how much did he charge for the work performed?

If Russ at Justrealmusic can rebuild all ML panels using the original stators that would be a nice side line for him. I may try to get an estimate...

sounds like a good alternative, can you tell us more ?

The recondition involves separating the stators of the panels, total cleaning including the removal of any contaminants from the panels and diaphragm along with the removal of the old ML coating and tape as needed. Russ then adds his diaphragm coating (which apparently will not burn off like the ML coating). He installs a new copper corona ring. His coating has a stained glass look ..... blue hue as in above picture.

After reassembly he runs SPL measurements with LMS and a 1 day burn in of the panels.

Cost is $475.00 per pair of CLS panels plus return shipping cost/insurance.

They sound marvelous.

Last edited:
That's a killer deal! $475 is WAY cheaper than new ones at $2700 as long as they work correctly and will last awhile. I bet Russ will have a lot of business once this gets around. Thanks for letting us know about this.

Thanks for sharing, this is indeed good news for those on tight budgets.

Do you know if he can perform the Mylar replacement as well?

My cats decided to climb the speakers.... punching holes at the same time.

Do you know if he can perform the Mylar replacement as well?

My cats decided to climb the speakers.... punching holes at the same time.

The only good cat is a.... cat that doesn't punch holes in your mylar. :devil:

Russ uses diaphragms for his own ESL builds. Whether or not they would be suitable as replacements or if he can custom make them to be ... I wouldn't know. Give him a shout.

Can I have Russ's contact information please? I may need it for my odyssey panels. Thank you

Back