HT CLX set up article

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice gear, but not well set up IMHO. Zero room treatments, all subs in row in the middle front?

Looks good, and it's very, very nice gear. Too bad the most important element of all, the room, was seemingly ignored.

Actually, Jon, those are just the subs for the front three channels. It would appear in another picture that he has CLX's for rears as well, and a sub by each of those, so five subs total in the room. Given that setup, probably not too bad. But I agree with you about the lack of room treatments. To me the most glaring error is wasting a pair of CLX's for the rear channels while using a Stage for the center. He could have used a pair of Montis for the rears and put one of those CLX's as a center channel and probably would have had a much better-sounding setup. Also, notice how close the speakers are to the walls and the fact that there are door openings in very inconvenient (sonically-speaking) places. Somebody who thinks they know a lot about hifi, but really knows very little about sound, in my opinion.

Nice gear, but not well set up IMHO. Zero room treatments, all subs in row in the middle front?

Looks good, and it's very, very nice gear. Too bad the most important element of all, the room, was seemingly ignored.

Exactly.

One of the articles photos has the caption:
"Every little thing needs to be detailed, the whole system is only as good as its weakest link"

After years of figuring out what acoustic pannels to get for my 2 ch system/room, I purchased some Corning Ownen insulation 2 months ago and will finally start building some panels this weekend. After using inexpensive foam panels in my HT room, I truely believe that nothing can improve the sound quality for a given set of speakers like proper room treatment. And it makes sooo much of a difference.

I also totally agree. When I saw the room, i cringed - no room treatment whatsoever, Marble floors, all reflective surfaces. It seems the speakers were placed as an afterthought by the interior designer of the room and just put wherever they fit and not necessarily sound their best.
One thing i know - if I had a few hundred grand to spend on my ultimate dream system, I sure as hell would not let Best Buy's Mongolia geek squad design the room and install my system! wow!

OK guys settle down. I flew out to his house twice. As you may expect my first visit was to move speakers around for the photographers. my second visit was to finish set up and continue the tuning. I have one more follow up to finalize some details but be aware that certain obvious things like room treatments, idealized set up on speakers, filter sets etc has occured. Granted the room is a challenge and spills over to other rooms so it will always be challenged by the customer's room but he is pretty happy how it is working now. The Geek Squad has done their jobs as far as the install details so I can't complain on that front as the company flew out their best to do the detailing so i consider him well served by them.

Latest posts

Back